Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Don't Forget to Torque
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

holeski

So have any of you heard about the poor fool who lost a tire going down the Rich at 55 MPH? I know Nate did. I wasn’t going to tell anyone one but it’s funny and what are we if we can’t laugh at our own faults. I swapped out the 30" Mud Rovers onto the MJ and was going to get steel for AKCJ8’s bumpers. The rear end felt loose, but I thought it might just have been the new tires. Right before the flood plains the rear drivers tire goes thump. I think to my self " that’s not a flat" and start to slow down and pull off when it goes thump and my tire passes me on the highway, a another car just missing it. I get out and pick it up and throw it in the back of the truck and start walking back to see if Kevin could help me move it when I say screw that I can fix it. Well I had just put the lug wrench in the truck when I left since it didn’t have one. I jack the rear of the MJ up and steal a lug nut off of each of the 3 other wheels and torque them all down. Now with 3 of the 5 lug nuts on I head to NAPA to get a few more. And that’s that. I called Nate and told him the story last night and he says he had on of his troops told him about this truck and the tire coming off. Now that’s some funny Chit man.
glad you are ok, whole-wheat. that is a lesson that could have been a real grave situation. thanks for nutting up and reminding us all to double check every thing after any maintenance.

canchaser

OMG thats too freakin funny.... note to self check those things every now and then

XFactor

Doighhhhhh (Homer)

holeski

canchaser Wrote:OMG thats too freakin funny.... note to self check those things every now and then
Yes it is. Anytime a lone wheel is passing you in a whole truck doing like 50 mph is funny.

gamble71

man, that would be funny if it weren't so scary. I crawl under the sploder and check the suspension bolts every couple weeks ever since the install... never thought about lug nuts though :eek:

holeski

It didn’t even have the courtesy to honk or flash it’s light to let me know it was going to pass me.
It’s the second time it’s ever happened to me the first was when my YJ’s Dana 35c broke going around a corner at like 30 mph, that was a lot worse. Further to fall and it was on hill and turning so the tire went on forever and the Jeep spun around, that was fun not funny though.
Dad and I were driving down the road and had to do a mad swerve to avoid a deer that had wandered onto the road. We were driving his old K20 and it had a veterinarian box on the rear and he had relocated the spare to the top of the box. Well, immediately after the swerve we saw a tire passing us on the right side. It flew through a ditch and went down a steep bank into a river. Yep, it was our spare, we didn't go after it because the river was deep and flowed too fast.

It was funny looking back to see your spare pass you.

AKLJ8

I had that happen to me, well almost, back in high school. I had my dad's old 71 Bronco and had driven it to school to balance his tires. The front driver side was making a lot of racket on the way home. I pulled in the driveway and checked it and found all five lug nuts nearly off the threads. Got it tight before dad came outside. I was sweating bullets. Dad would have skinned me alive if I'd have hurt his rig...

naturalbornmudder

Mine was actualy sabotage IMO, but anyway....
I was driving on base in my 84 yellow 4 runner when my front 31x11.5 General Grabber came off the rig and sped past me and down into the woods. Luckey for me I had all of my tools with me, so right there in the middle of traffic, I pulled out floor jack, jacked her up, went and got the tire, and put it back on. That is the only time I have ever seen my front tire pass my rig up.