Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: [Homepage Poll] Auto or Manual
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Which do you prefer for the trail and why?
I prefer a manual for everything except straight line racing (mud drags).
Even then, I've had excellent results with a manual. I have trophies to prove it.

In my opinion you have way better control of your vehicle with a direct link fom your foot to the wheels.

Trying to finesse an auto equipped rig through an obstacle where you just need a little gas but not too much is highly annoying. I hate the "slip"

Engine braking is a big plus too.

I can shave alot off my stopping distance on slick terrain or ice by using engine braking.

You can push start it if the starter fails.

You can use the starter to inch the vehicle forward if needed. I did this to get out of a slough once when I ran out of gas. It also works for getting a dead vehicle onto a trailer.

You never have to worry about over heating a manual unless you run it dry.

You can almost completely water proof a manual as long as you run the vent properly. Auto's usually have a big vent hole in the top, as well as a dipstick tube, and fill up with water quickly when submerged.

I hate the huge puddles of transmission fluid on the garage floor when doing swaps.

How's that?

DADSFJ

Wow Ole
I dont have to say anything. You have completely explained all of the aspects. I personally like the engine braking side of things, off road, especially when going down a steep incline, you have more control of yoru ride.

Nicely written up
I've already converted one vehicle to a manual, and I'm getting ready to do another.

I hate the slushboxes. I prefer to shift it and know where it is and what it's doing at all times. It kills me that you can't find a new truck with a stick shift and it's getting hard to even find used ones with one as well.
Well after ole's great reply I feel like taking this poll down now.Smile

I agree with you. I truly hate having an auto. The XJ is the first wheeler I've owned that was an auto and it took a lot of getting used to. One thing I miss is the second or even third gear take offs for slick surfaces and the engine braking. If I can find the right manual cheap enough I'll be swapping.
Autos work well in sand dunes. Just got too keep them cool.
if I could vote I would go for a Auto with a Manual valve body. There are plenty of times that you gas and brake when you are rock crawling and such
manual is even better on the lower HP /tourque motors as well dont loose as much power... better fuel mileage .

using a manual on a 4x4 also reduces alot heat in the engine bay ,, deep water crossings is much safer in a maual even if i fill with water i can drive it home ..

if my tranny goes i usually only loose 1 gear and still can limp it home in 4 more ..
on steep grades ive had my tourque converter loose fluid and spin in neutral till i was back on flat ground ..

flat towing is also much easier with a stick .. price of replacing a clutch from slipping to rebuilding a auto .. id replace a clutch any day ..
One bad thing on a stick is packing the clutch full of mud, I had done this a few times till i lifted the zuk.
I voted manual for all those reasons Ole mentioned.

However... I'm getting ready to swap back to an auto with a doubler. This should allow me to engine brake as well have a bit better finness due to the lower gearing.

I would prefer to leave the manual and then put a doubler in that - but the doubler kit I got a smoking deal on was ordered for an auto. So I'll have the 400/203 gearbox/205 with triple shifter - should allow me for a lot of options.

After I get it put together and whell it - maybe I'll prefer that setup... :confused:

Skitzo will stick with an auto as well due to the fact it will be used primarily for mud racing.
Wife wanted a manual, but I got her an auto for the trails,

I like my manual but at the end of a long run I'm usually wishing I had a auto at least for the way back to the trail headSmile
I prefer a manual, I got a auto for a dual purpose trail / plow/ DD. Now the jeep is really just for trail and plow the drive way if and when we get snow. The VW I chose auto for the wife and mud, but the next toy that I buy/ build for me to replace the XJ will be a Stick.
ATX!!!

I can ride while smoking a cigarette, making a phone call, scrolling through my ipod, and drinking my green apple smoothie without missing a beat!

everybody knows that I have the smoothest ride in the club!
ZMonster Wrote:ATX!!!

I can ride while smoking a cigarette, making a phone call, scrolling through my ipod, and drinking my green apple smoothie without missing a beat!

LOL I can do all that with a manual while do my business payroll in my head on the way to work.
Of course I have the advantage of drinking Rockstar instead of your girly apple drink.:lol:
I remember the days of being late for duty and going through the drive through on the way to work. Coming through the front, showing my id, taking off, eating my burger, shifting, and calling in telling them I'm running a little late.
ZMonster Wrote:ATX!!!

I thought your Ipod died. Are you sure it's not a Boom box with a Disco Ball!:poke::tease:
My 71 ish Chevy and a manual valve body th400 behind a 500 Caddy.