Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Winch Controller Tech
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My winch controller shorted out on me so I went to go and order a new one. I discovered that they run from 100 - 150 plus shipping. :eek: So I decided to cut it apart and see how things work and if it is fixable.

I started with cutting the body in 2
[Image: SDC14370.jpg]

I found numerous broken wires
[Image: SDC14369.jpg]

I stripped the the broken wires and crimped on new connectors
[Image: SDC14372.jpg]

Now that all of the wires are reconnected I started to prep it to glue it back together (be sure to op check before you glue it back together)

I glued it back together in all sections that could let water into the body.

[Image: SDC14374.jpg]

[Image: SDC14375.jpg]
no duct tape? Good saveSmile
good stuff. What glue? Epoxy?
I actually used hot glue gun, but i would haver used epoxy if I had any onhand.
i did the same thing on my mile marker the plug end of mine was shot on the selinoid .. so i reused the long cable, made some nice heat shrunk weather connectors and i bought a nice 20 amp 3 pole switchwich has 2 sides and plugged it on the winch end for getting the line tight and using the remote at a safe distance ..and because the switch stays on once clicked i dont have to keep holding the dang button on those long pulls anymore ..:whistle:

mile markers are sooooo slooow but it keeps pulling ..
Nice fixin' skills.
Fix_It Wrote:i did the same thing on my mile marker the plug end of mine was shot on the selinoid .. so i reused the long cable, made some nice heat shrunk weather connectors and i bought a nice 20 amp 3 pole switchwich has 2 sides and plugged it on the winch end for getting the line tight and using the remote at a safe distance ..and because the switch stays on once clicked i dont have to keep holding the dang button on those long pulls anymore ..:whistle:

mile markers are sooooo slooow but it keeps pulling ..

Slow!! That thing is beyond slow. I had a good nap out there last weekend! Big GrinBig Grin
AKMark Wrote:Nice fixin' skills.

not pretty, but functional
Looking at what you did, I got an idea.

When I eventually do mine I'll cut the cord first, clamp it in a vise, and use a hole saw in the drill press to cut a "plug" out of the back where the cord comes in.
After feeding the cord back through the plug and fixing the connections the plug can be epoxied back in and it should look like a clean job.
always have to show me up... I see how it is.