Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Stuck XJ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Dan

99 XJ in 4WD-Low, with:
3" lift kit
31" Mud Terrains (Siped!)...

...stuck on the side of the road outside my house. The last 1' or so of the side of the road was actually compacted snow with nothing underneath that collapsed finally under the weight of my Subaru WRX due to the warming temps. Backed the Jeep up to pull it out, making sure not to get as close to the side of the road as the WRX. Guess what...the road 2' from the side was in the same condition.

I tried it all: rocking, pushing, digging, wood planks, the works. Finally had a passer-by pull me out. It was just pathetic getting stuck so bad in a modded Jeep with the passenger side wheels on solid ice spinning freely while my traction lied in the ditch, motionless. It's time for some locking diffs or a new rig. Might just go with an H3 or FJ (when they come out). My WRX with 2" of clearance and street tires had was closer to getting istelf out than the Jeep:mad:

michaeljr5

Do you need help?

Advent

Lock-rites are a heck of a lot cheaper than a new rig.

Dan

I did have someone pull me out...both vehicles:nope:

If I end up installing diffs, it'll probably be a Powertrax no-slip. I might need help installing that when the time comes. Need to find out where I'm moving next before I can do anything. It's just disappointing to go on all these off-road excursions in a modded Jeep, only to get stuck on the side of the road.

Advent

A trick if you don't have a locker but one wheel has traction is to use the emergency brake. It's not good for the brake, but it does work.

Dan

Should have tried that (as long as you don't mind the smell).

madmax

Ah come on now getting stuck on the side of the road makes for great photo shoots for everyone.lol

Advent

I actually pulled out a big lifted Dodge last week with Erica's truck that was in a very similar situation. The guy's right two 35" or so mud tires were on solid ice, his left tires on dry asphalt. A quick tug with a beat up little Mazda and he was on his way.

Dan

Advent Wrote:A trick if you don't have a locker but one wheel has traction is to use the emergency brake. It's not good for the brake, but it does work.

Hey...don't take away my excuse for modifications! If I can milk this for lockers, let it rideCool