Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Question for you Scrambler owners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

falcho

Greetings,
For those who own cj8s. Is your power brake booster mounted to a bracket that in turn mounts to the firewall, using a couple pivoting levers on that bracket which one lever connects to the pedal, the other to the booster.
I ask as my right hand drive scramblers booster is shot. Napas prices are nuts, not even counting there 50 buck shipping, so ive been dealing with schucks. Their books list a scrambler as a j series truck, so the first booster that showed up was so wrong it wasnt funny. I tried to explain to them that a scrambler is just a long cj7, but that was a waster of time. So, We went to the picture book, and the one that the 82 -86s use, show a real long connecter rod coming from it, of the type used where the booster bolts directly to the firewall, and that one rod goes from the booster to the pedal. Since mine has a short rod, that connets to the bracket linkage, which in turn transfers motion to another lever that connects to a rod that connects to the pedal, that one wont work. IF it came as the picture shows. At this point, the booster for the 81 cjs is almost identical to the one I have. Wouldnt surprise me if amc didnt use old stuff on these postal scramblers. So, we ordered that one, and if its not right, as a last resort we will try the one that they probably should have ordered the first time with the picture of the long rod.. But, since I have to wait and sweat it out again, I thought I would check and see if the regular scramblers used this same bracket with the 2 levers in it, or if your boosters use a different bracket, or they just mount direct to the firewall.
Any info appreciated. Other then this minor setback, the jeep is coming along just fine.
Thanks folks....

madmax

If i'm reading it right mine has a small rod from the booster and another going through the firewall,your more than welcome to come buy and look at it,tell Schucks your Jeep is a CJ8 and it might help.You could also try going through Tom at MSI and he could find you one if he doesen't havve one laying around,Action Auto also had some of those old postals laying around.

falcho

Yo...
Schucks doesnt recognise cj8, they only list 5s and 7s...and they have scramblers as J series pickups...the ninnies...Well, if the one we ordered wont work, Ill try the one that the books says should work but shows a picture of one that wont. Go figure..heh...
Thanks pard...