Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: got a few questions about my suburban
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i got a 89 half ton suburban its nice rig i like it alot. well last night i was driving it and the rear end locked up and desinagrated and the driver tire and wheel and axel came off and my bumper slamed the ground. so i finely found out where my noise was comming from lol the hard way. this is what im comming up with the questions,,, should

A: go with a half ton 6 lug rearend to go back in it?

B: a 8 lug 12 bolt with matching front diff?

C: corprate 14 bolt with matching front diff?

i can do aall of them but is what i really want to know is witch would be best for me to run i like to pull trailers witch i will be pulling my jeep around?? and do i have to do anything special to fit any of them in my suburban?
If you are gonna pull trailers, go with the 14 bolt.

I've never seen a 12 bolt with 8 lug setup. You might have a 14 Semi-floater with the 8-lug, that's not that bad of an axle either.

I wouldn't put another 10-bolt in it unless you are in a pinch and need it moving now.
If they come from a 73-87 truck, they should bolt up, except for a one ton rear axle, those have different spring purch widths. You'd have to cut and reweld to use an axle from a one ton. Also, depending on the axle you will probably need a conversion u-joint on the rear of the driveshaft. Most 14SF and 14FF axles run 1350 U-joints instead of the 1310.
mark speaks the truth. post up on our wanted parts for the 14 bolt rear. .. if you are lucky someone may even have a dana 60 AND 14 bolt rear.. kevin might have another set laying around! there are dana 44 front ends that are 8 lug. the d44 and 14 bolt would makeup a 3/4 burb. but nothing sweeter than a 1 ton burban. Big GrinBig Grin
the rear end came off a 77 chevy i belive it was 3/4. it is the 14 bolt full floater... im going to try and go pick up the rearend today if i can get a ride its at 6 mile hot springs. its got the rear leafs and everything im going to measure the leanth of the leafs i really hope that the leafs are same lenth so my burban wont sag nomore.
3/4 ton Chevy's came with a 14FF if it had a 454. 3/4 ton's with any other engine normally came with a 14SF.

I wouldn't bother with putting one tons under a truck that's only purpose in life is only to drive and pull a Jeep. Save the 60 for a wheeler.
i dont have any other use for the 60 besides my burban cause i dont run chevys lol how do u tell a 14ff to a 14sf??? this one im going to get is one with the ceter sticking way out and the axels bolt to the outside with 6 bolts.
A FF rear has the shafts that bolt up near the lugs. A SF uses C-clips like most axles do to hold the axles in.

The 14FF has a 10.5" ring gear, the SF has a 9.5" ring gear.

If you have a 60 laying around with nothing else going on, then use it. I'd put it in a wheeler before DD is all.
I concur with mark abotu with thefront being a d44 for daily driving and rear 14 bolt for towing. I was trying to convince him to beef up the burban... so that he might come away from the dark side... hehe.
well i got the rear today it is a 14ff.. it is off a 1 ton and the leaf spring mounts are the same we measured. it had the leaf spings and all so im going to use it all and i got it from a friend and he gave me a d60 for the front i just got to wait for him to pull it. and i have no use for it anywhere else so im just going ot put in my burban and make it bomb proof pretty much lol... im probly going to do the rear tomarrow but the bad part is i have to do it outside in front of my house.. hopefully everything goes to plan..