Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: dropping 2-3 inches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was going to just email kevin on this but I wanted to get more thoughts and ideas.

I need to drop my blazer 2-3 inches to be "road legal" on my 8 inch leaf sprung k5 Blazer (solid axle). I remember kevin telling me that he removed a leaf spring out of his pack to get better flex on the trail. I was thinking of doing this to get more flex and drop down to a more legal height.
I have no sway bar. FYI. yes I know that is illegal. Ultimately I need a trailer.

Anyway .....Pro's ? Con's? Oppositions? better ideas?
Thanks !
leave it alone its nice as it is
If you plan on trailering it then leave it. I don't know anything about your springs but removing the bottom spring could help flex and drop you the distance you need or it could make it too soft and hurt you. Also your tire size plays a role in this but don't go down a size. Oh and i never heard not running a sway bar is illegal. I've never had one and don't even have brackets for them.
i was thinking along the lines :
-if the spring rate is being reduced I would have to compensate for the weight supported by them. (remove the topper on the back? fiber glass hood?) and no heavy loads
- what about under flex and stress then?
i have lots of scenarios and situations i can come up with.. i was curious to know if anyone has done this.(removed spring packs)
Pulling leaves out to get more flex will depend on the springs rate and temper, I pulled the lower leaves on my zuk's rancho springs( it had no flex and rode like a rock truck). Atferward the ride was much inpproved till i wadded up the front springs"S" shape both slight bend in the right rear. Redid the front with rear zuk springs with a Scout 2nd leaf in and pulled the lower. rides sweet and now my 8" travel shocks limit the flex, There are
trade offs in doing your own springs and it takes work o get it right.