Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: ring and pinion replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I got a dana 80 rear and for pretty cheap.
the problem is that it has a 4.56 gear ratio. I need 4.10

so, i can get a ring and pinion set for about 450.
the question is what procedure and tools are needed to complete this job?
Procedure: do alot of reading.
Tools: Minimum of a dial indicator, micrometer, torque wrenches ranging from 0-250 ft/lbs. and 0-25 in/lbs., bearing splitter, and a shop press.
I don't like Dana 80's.
reason being?
After you do gears on a 14FF, you begin to hate the gears in most of the other axles.

14FF the pinion can be easily removed whenever you want to, no crush sleeve and no messing with shims on the carrier because it has adjusters that make it a snap.

I hate crush sleeves, sometimes they crush easy, and other times, you gotta play with them to get them to crush. Just a personal preference.
You don't need to use a crush sleeve. You can shim it with a section of Dom or the like.
Yep - you can shim it and then shim for pre-load.

Also - there actually is a crush sleeve on the 14FF axles in the pinion housing. Now, once that is set correctly - then you use shims to set pinion depth - which is easier than other axles... but there is technically still a crush sleeve.

Doing gears isn't rocket science, you just need the proper tools and to know what you're doing.

If not done correctly you can ruin a set of gears fairly quick.
Dana 80's don't have crush sleeves. Only the baby Danas do.
hmm im more concerned about the time to do this. Sad
i think i might have to source this out. or maybe trade someone for a 14 bolt FF.
anyone interested in a trade?
I'd trade ya! But I'm out of town for a bit. I actually need a 4.56 rearend to go with the D60 front I have! I'll have to check the 14bolts I have once back at home. I'm sure I have a 4.10 or two laying around.
awesome kevin!
I prefer one with E brake cables. Smile
and a welded rear end would be AWESOME[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 09:09 pm ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 pm ----------

[/COLOR]I think you might have one that is welded.