Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Possible Gear change.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

michaeljr5

According to the fellas on MonteroSportOnline.com. There are now 5.29 gears available for Monteros in Australia.:driving: They say they are a little pricey, but that rocks.

Currently Montero Sports come with 4.63 gears in the 3 liters and 4.2?s on the 3.5 liter models. If I can track down a set of these, do you all think it would be wise? Right now she tacks 3K RpM doing 65-70. I'm guessing with 5.29s 55 - 60 mph will be the fastest I go anymore. :eek:

AKLJ8

Do you know what you currently have? Which engine are you running? 3.0 or 3.5. Did they offer different axles all together behind these engines? Just make sure of what you have before you dive into a swap.
michaeljr5 Wrote:According to the fellas on MonteroSportOnline.com. There are now 5.29 gears available for Monteros in Australia.:driving: They say they are a little pricey, but that rocks.

Currently Montero Sports come with 4.63 gears in the 3 liters and 4.2?s on the 3.5 liter models. If I can track down a set of these, do you all think it would be wise? Right now she tacks 3K RpM doing 65-70. I'm guessing with 5.29s 55 - 60 mph will be the fastest I go anymore. :eek:

naturalbornmudder

I wouldnt get them to appease the gas gauge, but if you are looking to get creepy crawly slow on the trail these would help out.

Craig brings up an excellent point, are the axles the same
If they're pricey, save your cash for big axles.
What locker options are out there? Just ARB?

michaeljr5

The drive trains are exactly the same in the Monteros and Montero Sports for each year. From what I know there are no different axles for these truck. They have always been the way they are now, except for the leaf spring to coil spring change over in 2000.

ARB is the only ones I've found that seem to be a viable option. I was looking at an Eaton Detroit, but two different websites had two different part numbers for the same thing. SO I got confused. As far as I can tell, if it fits a Montero it'll fit an MS.

AKLJ8

michaeljr5 Wrote:The drive trains are exactly the same in the Monteros and Montero Sports for each year. From what I know there are no different axles for these truck. They have always been the way they are now, except for the leaf spring to coil spring change over in 2000.

ARB is the only ones I've found that seem to be a viable option. I was looking at an Eaton Detroit, but two different websites had two different part numbers for the same thing. SO I got confused. As far as I can tell, if it fits a Montero it'll fit an MS.
For the money I think a locker will get you further down the trail then lower gears. You can always go lower on the gears later on if you want to...

As for bigger axles... Thats a ton of work to do right. All the projects I've done like that had a way of blossoming into bigger and more expensive projects.

My amphicar is a prime example of the blossom factor. I pulled it in the garage one afternoon to replace a small panel under the battery that had rusted through. 3 years later it's getting soda blasted and a full on show car restoration... Rolleyes

michaeljr5

What I really want to do is steal the axles off a Rubicon and put them under it. Complete with the Electric lockers and everything.

AKLJ8

michaeljr5 Wrote:What I really want to do is steal the axles off a Rubicon and put them under it. Complete with the Electric lockers and everything.
There's an easier way young Jedi....

Luke give into the Dark side... Trade your Monty in on a Ruby!lol :allrighty: rofl :doh: :nana:

michaeljr5

AKCJ8 Wrote:There's an easier way young Jedi....

Luke give into the Dark side... Trade your Monty in on a Ruby!lol :allrighty: rofl :doh: :nana:

Silly boy... Jeeps are for girls! rofl

michaeljr5

Any hoop... Does anyone know what my max speed would be at 3000 Rpm with 5.29 gears?
go to Novak-adapt.com, they have really easy to use calculators under the knowledge base>gearing.
What tire size?

AKLJ8

Assuming 31" tires and non over drive hi-range... About 52 mph. 33" tires gets you 55 or so...

Here's a few good sites...

http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearratio.htm

http://www.rbelectronics.com/cherokee/gears_calc.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~cboug/Tire_Gear_Calculator.htm

michaeljr5

I used that one ratio thingy. If I go from a 31 to a 33 inch tire with my 4.63 gears. It said it would change to 4.92. Is that good? Is that what I am thinking it is? :eek:

AKLJ8

michaeljr5 Wrote:I used that one ratio thingy. If I go from a 31 to a 33 inch tire with my 4.63 gears. It said it would change to 4.92. Is that good? Is that what I am thinking it is? :eek:
I don't think thats right. If everything stays the same and all you do is go to a bigger tire size you will feel slower off the line. Your engine will have a harder time turning the bigger tires. I think you had the RPM and speed the same in the calculation and let it adjust the axle gears to what would make it feel the same with 33" tires. Does that make any sense?

Basically if you like the tork it has now and where the RPM is on the hwy at a given speed and you want to go to 33" tires you need to go to 4.92 gears. Going to the 5.29 gears would let you run a 35" with similar driving characteristics to what you have now I'm guessing. If you want a bit more tork for the trail go with the 5.29 and 33" tires.

I'm betting that Monty engine is set up to run in a bit higher RPM range then the Jeeps. I'm on 33" tires with 4.11 gears and at 55 I'm doing about 2200 rpm.

michaeljr5

From the factory, the gears are 4.63?? with a 165 Hr 185 lb Ft torque 3 liter engine. if you get the 3.5 liter you get the 4.2?? gears. The auto tranny has no overdrive. It is a 4 speed automatic. Between 60-70 MpH she is tacking about 3000 Rpm right now.