Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Transfer case basics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Transfer cases transfer the power from the engine, via the transmition, to one or both of the axles, front and rear, and also can lower the gear ratio of the transfer of power - dependning on what gearing you select (4 hi, 4 lo, 2 hi, etc...)

Transfer cases thus transfer power.

Transfer cases do no tranfer weight. When one attempts to transfer the weight of their vehicle to the transfer case, using it as a pivoting point, this tends to happen:

http://www.arcticoffroad.com/gallery2/ma...alNumber=1

http://www.arcticoffroad.com/gallery2/ma...alNumber=1

http://www.arcticoffroad.com/gallery2/ma...alNumber=2

Needles to say, I will be swapping out the t-case in the Skitzo tonight.

(if someone can get pics instead of links to appear, please do so. Nothing I do seems to get the piocs in here. They appear in my typed message before I post, but not in the actual thread - very frustrating!)

Maybe a skid plate would be a good idea!
good thing you have another 208!! and how did you do this exactly?
IN the slough behind my house on the power line clearing. I went through it last week with no problems. It is 4-6 foot straight up - the trick is to pop the front tires up and while they're in the air gun it to have the rear tires claw their way up. Last week, no problems. Forrest did this right before me with no problems. However, he has more ground clearance. And with the rain and mud, I popped my front tires up and my rear tires, instead of clawing their way up, spun in the mud. So all the wieght of the front of my rig landed... on the t-case!
Still some awesome carnage.
Guess I can't get those pics to post either.
This is also a good example of why I do not want to have a 208 T case in my truck (weak aluminum housing) I hope to have my Turbo 350 trans rebuilt and run the 205 T case behind it as it is mostly bulletproof. The advantage the 208 has is the lower geared low range but it is also a chain driven range box versus the 205s gear drive. And the 205 can be mated to a 203 to make a "doubler" On the other hand "run what ya brung" and lucky for Kev hes got a plethora of spares I am sure.:allrighty:
I am well aware of the advantages of the 205's - and you are correct on the "run-what-ya-brung" as well as me having "spares."

However - the real culprit here was not simply the aluminu t-case housing - but my lack of building a quality skid plate underneath such said aluminum t-case! No excuses - I simply didn't protect it like I should have. My fault, my bad - I knew better.

To quote Mudzilla, "What happened? I'll tell you what happened. I'm an idiot - that's what happened!"

Secondly - the other advantage to the 208 is less weight - considerably less weight. About 1/2 of a 205 and 1/4 of a 203. So for a light weight rig this would be ideal IF I had protected it.
"Need for a skid plate" you said it, thats a given running that t case. And beings how your running Chevy gear in a flyweight rig it should do fine for ya but most times those 208s are loaded into rigs of much more considerable girth and is merely my preferance to have gear driven heavy metal. Not trying to debate your choice just adding some more basic knowledge to your "T case basics" thread.
:cheers:
Well, Justin and I swapped out the t-case and replaced his front axleshaft in 2 hours and 15 minutes. And I'd say at least 45 minutes was spent trying to get 1 broken off bolt out of the knuckle.

Ultimately, I guess I failed to completely demolish the t-case because it actually came out in 1 piece. another 2.5 inches of break and the case would have been completely severed though! Will post pictures in a week or so.

2T2

Man its fun working with you. I think thats why the time fly's by so fast
ChevyKev Wrote:Ultimately, I guess I failed to completely demolish the t-case because it actually came out in 1 piece. another 2.5 inches of break and the case would have been completely severed though! Will post pictures in a week or so.

Well, I was wrong. Upon further inspection, the shaft is holding the case together but it is cracked completely in 2 pieces. The 2.5 inches I thought was holding it together is actually holding the front 2/3 together. Thus, 2.5 more incches and the case would be in 3 pieces and not 2!

Justin, I'm trying to figure how we started at 6, it took 2hours and 15 minutes, and we weren't done until 12:30 AM!lol (Trip to store, pick up the ramp, eat dinner at 9 PM, drive to Fire station to ramp on the concrete, war with mosquitos, laugh about 30 minutes straight several times... )
after my newest trans problems, last night I dropped the drivelines and t-case out of skitzo. And hopefully tonight I will replace the trans and t-case so that I can get it going again. OUt of the vehicle, the t-case shifted and acted just fine, so I think the trans went out this time and that probably form some damage that happened at the same time I destroyed the first t-case but didn't let loose until Eric ran her through the pit. Hopefully it'll be up and running agin very soon.