Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: setting up a welding workstation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I finally bought myself a welder. It's got about a 4' cord, and a 10' lead. kinda limits my options as to where I can fab. I guess I need to build an extensio cord, and then a welding table? Let's see some pictures of what you have.
find your self a good heavy extension it makes a big difference in welder performance .. i use a 10/3 cord really heavy and it helps the duty cycle alot !

naturalbornmudder

make a cart. You will be happier with the welders mobility then if you had a stationary welding table.
I have a wooden furniture dolly I roll it around on.

I haven't priced extension cords yet, but the owner's manual recommedns 14 gague for up to 50'.

akdsmer

I have a 20' extension. Problem is I don't have a second 2 outlet, so the compressor or the mig or plasma cutter at one time. You need to make up a metal welding table. It's a good project to build some skills. Then put locking wheels on it and you have a mobile workbench as well.
Right.
I have 1 220V outlet, and it's not near any workbench. metal or not.
I need to build an extension cord. I only have 1 220V tool, so I won't have to worry about that.
I've been googling for table ideas. I really like the idea of putting it on wheels.

akdsmer

akdsmer

Or for those who like pictures...

http://www.progressivefarmer.com/farmer/...77,00.html

When you are ready to build a table, let me know, I can hook you up on some rectangular tubing to build it. You'll just need some wheels, and some plate steel for the top.
That's one sweet table.
I'm thinking more like this. Believe it or not, I don't have a whole lot of room for this thing, and the wheels are a bonus.
[Image: welding_table_2.JPG]

akdsmer

That looks like they took the frame off of a BBQ. Make what you like, but when it comes to welding there is also bending, beating and pounding going on. That usually requires a sturdy bench. If space is an issue, how about making folding sides, that are held up with some good bracing.

The plasma cutting section is a good idea though, as is the tool holders in the second link I provided.
I'm starting to piece together my extension cord.
I know what shape 220V outlets I need. I know the minimum gague wire to use.
I guess I'm just hung up on the price. $25 for the plugs, $70 for the wire?!

Is there an alternative?

INDIANOUTLAW

not if you want to do it right.
INDIANOUTLAW Wrote:not if you want to do it right.

Ditto that. Go cheaper and you'll regret it.
i paid 120.00 for the good cable i used of 10/3 and 50ft
Finally snapped a pic of my welding table. Rolleyes Not too mobile, but sturdy! Big Grin

[Image: IMAG0002_edited.JPG]

Got the table top - 1" thick 4' x 4' plate steel for .... $3.00 at a garage sale. It took 4 guys to sstand it up and "roll" it to the trailer. Feet are 2" pipe with 1/4" walls that I got for hauling it off. The most I spent was on welding supplies! I built it upside down and again it took 4 of us to flip it over and move it into place. I estimate a good 800lbs.

It also doubles as an engine building table. Have 7.s Ford heads and cam and stuff on it.
With Scotts help, I bought 30' of 10/4. only needed 10/3. Oh well. Also bought the plugs. assembled it, but haven't had the chance to test it yet. After I had the parts, someone gave me an idea, use a RV 220V extension cord. I priced it, and for 25' of 10/3, I could have paid $20. and cut off the ends and wired in mine. Oh well. I've got about $90 into mine. Next step, table.
cord op check good. I need to make something for real now, not just play.

INDIANOUTLAW

if you only used 3 wires then that 4th bare wire is the ground it should be attaches to the fixture as a ground and the white is the neutral round prong, and the red and black are your "hot" leads and each should carry 120volts and be attached to the flat blades. technically you don't need the ground but it's a good saftey. on a sidenote i finally got my outlet all set up and good to go also, it took me a couple of weeks b/c of a big freezing up incident at my house.
Well, I did the red and black to the flat baldes. Then I used the black and white to the ground. There was no bare wire.

akdsmer

ChevyKev Wrote:[Image: IMAG0002_edited.JPG]

Geez, to think I have been putting my brakeclean cans on particleboard shelves...what's the requirement? 1" steel? Big Grin
Welder machines only use 2 hot legs and a ground, no neutral. Double check the owner's manual, but it does sound like you have it hooked up correctly.