Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Homepage Poll: Wire rope or synthetic?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What do you run on your winch?
100' of 5/16 Amsteel blue. 3/4" D-ring on the thimble. Bought from Kodiak Offroad.
Holeproof nylatron synthetic fairlead.
I am undecided on what I want to run as the ease of handling and safety gains are a plus for the synthetic line although if it gets dirty much the integrity will be compromised which could lead to breaking. So I guess I am leaning more towards durabilty with the cable.
I don't run anything. I use my jedi force Smile Once a winch gets put on I'm really not sure. I'll probably run what it comes with.
STOMPR Wrote:I am undecided on what I want to run as the ease of handling and safety gains are a plus for the synthetic line although if it gets dirty much the integrity will be compromised which could lead to breaking. So I guess I am leaning more towards durabilty with the cable.

IMO, safety is more omportant than durability. Just handling alone convinced me to go synthetic. Then there's the increased strength, less kinetic energy, lighter weight...
I would rather have one chance to be safe than 2 chances to buy a $150 line.
Besides, as often as you SHOULD be inspecting the wire cable, you could, even easier, wash your synthetic rope.

And then there's the bling factor.
I see your point Geoff that is why I am torn on my decision, safety is very important and one factor of that is not being stranded, if a syn line where to break and no one else was around it could be bad news, not a likely scenario buy you never no, plus I am to some degree anti bling, and admire the old skool setups.
They sell black or grey synthetic.

I carry spare terminals to attach the wire to the drum, and a copy of this. Thanks AJ for the link.

naturalbornmudder

I currently run cable. I want synthetic but until I get all of my maintenance caught on the lil' T, the synthetic line take a back burner. I do, however, subscribe wholeheartedly to safety and recommend going syn. to anyone who asks my opinion.
I also run a Holeproof winch weight and Holeproof winch hook nylon safety tab.

Advent

I don't have my winch installed yet, but I have Amsteel Blue to go on it when I do.

So...What should I vote for?

akjeep

Spiderwire.
Little bit goes a long way.

akdsmer

The zuki only requires 3/8 rope, but to pull you guys out I actually installed wire rope! Cool

Advent

akjeep Wrote:Spiderwire.
Little bit goes a long way.

I dunno man...17 pound test doesn't seem tough enough...

holeski

I sold mine since I never used it for myself only others.

INDIANOUTLAW

holeski Wrote:I sold mine since I never used it for myself only others.
you don't meed to brag not all of us own our own fab shop!:errf:

Ronster

I was in between winch or locker, but I got a ARB for my D30 on its way. BTW, the ARB order is in on Wedensday!
I'm running synthetic as of now but havn't had the chance to use it.
I still have the original cable. Everything wears out eventually and when it does I'll go synthetic. I just can't bring myself to discard the cable if it's still in good shape.
I Have Amsteel Blue Sitting On My Shelf Since X-mas Last Year >>wife Aint Happy (she Bought It ) But I Havent Figured Out Wich Winch To Put It On And Wich Truck ? Down Here We Have Alot Of Mud And Running Rope Through The Deep Goo Is Nice If You Drop It It Floats ..no Swimming In Said Goo ..

But I Already Have The Wire On The Drum And Works As Promised ...
Im running 100 feet of synthetic and ive used mine more times than i can count, its stronger than hell and you dont have to worry about it bunching up on the drum!( well not as much).
synthetic

TJVigilante

I'll run the factory wire rope until it breaks, frays, or kinks then I'll get synthetic. This is when I actually get winch though.
Still waiting to see how the synthetics work out. Not sure how durable they really are to switch from cable yet. I've researched on them, but I want to here how they do from people I know. Til then, it's cable.
I love mine.
Kinda wish I woulda gone with 3/8", but still...
I want to know how that wool yarn is working out for you, Kyle, Brandon and Dave.

TJVigilante

Oh don't call them out...if you put that as an option it's fair game!

akjeep

Ya just need a LOT of snatch blocks!!!!!
Pages: 1 2