Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Tools question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, after buying a set of flare nut style crows feet, I was pondering what drawer in the tool box these should go in. Cool
I wish I had to answer that question for myself.

Actually, no I don't. Last time I used one, I stripped the nut, and my nuckle. I'm not very coordinated. Ever see me use a speedhandle? Look out. flying elbow.

AK20

Where is the option for..."You already have more tools than space, so they'll end up behind something on the garage floor, which will also be the last place you look when trying to find them when you REALLY need them"...that would be my first pick, but since you didn't have that I went with specialty drawer. lol

INDIANOUTLAW

i can't answer this one kev since there is not a store them @ scott's house till you need them option.

akjeep

Glad you can choose 2 answers...

Advent

What are crow's feet?
Think of a wrench head with a place for a wratchet (normally used with an extension) I had a bolt holding a driveshaft on, that the CV joint housing prevented the use of a socket, and the trans crossmember, trans, body floor, and frame all prevented getting a wrench to. After heating and bending several ceap wrenches with no luck, I went to get the crows feet.
I tried to get a decent photo, but had a cheapo camera.

[Image: IMAG0005_edited.JPG]

Pics of the hole set - came out a bit better.

[Image: IMAG0006_edited.JPG]

Advent

Ah. I need a set of those.
Advent Wrote:Ah. I need a set of those.
so if you got a set.... which drawer would they go in????

Advent

I don't own any drawers Sad

TJVigilante

Going commando, Kyle?
Advent Wrote:I don't own any drawers Sad

TJVigilante Wrote:Going commando, Kyle?

:eek: Too much information - and 1 too many questions! :angry:

Rolleyes What part of Family Sight do you not understand? Big Grin

Anywhoo - recieved this which is the technical correct answer for my silly poll.

AlaskaToy Wrote:Crows feet are to be used with torque wrench (TW), not a ratchet.
Usually a set is calibrated with a particular TW.
They can be used with another TW but you must know the lenth from the bolt center to the square-drive center.
See http://www.robins.af.mil/logistics/LGEDA...-1-101.pdf for the proper way to do this.

So, they belong in the same drawer as your TWs. Hope this helps.

AJ

Good info!
AJ is the tw master. He used to get paid for knowing that stuff.

But a little more info, applied directly to your situation,

NEVER loosen tight bolts with a tw. Crows foot or not.
sevenslats Wrote:AJ is the tw master. He used to get paid for knowing that stuff.

But a little more info, applied directly to your situation,

NEVER loosen tight bolts with a tw. Crows foot or not.

Actually, I've used a TW to loosen bolts with a crows foot. Of course this was to show that the bolts were waaaaay overtorqued. I would step up the TW until it didn't break away while removing the bolt. Yes the TW was calibrated to work in both directions.
Forget the drawer... send 'em to me Big Grin

akdsmer

For those who have worked in Kevin's garage...if you need 'em you find a couple of them in one of his bolt cans, a few under an intake manifold on the bench and some more on top of the welder. Don't even pretend you have a system for your tools...Big Grin

Since they are still in the case, they should be put into the tool drawer reserved for cased tools (usually the bottom drawers). After you use them one time and they are spread across the shop, discard the case and throw them in the wrench drawer.