Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: W.E. Rock Las Vegas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

holeski

holeski

W.E. Rock was a blast even though the first night we ended up in the ER due to Ian being so sick and the second night I got sick and had to leave early. I was a Judge the first day and it was just cool to do. I was able to judge the Pro Modified class. These are rigs just like mine but with a little more body damage.
I was able to meet some great people, Drivers, Spotters, team owners, media and celebrities. I talked with JP mag, Peterson’s mag, 4 low mag and two photographers from Crawl. Trust me I am working on getting a few of them up here for some trail runs. There was a celebrity class with people from ESPN, 4x4 Magazines and such. I was hanging out with Jessie from Extreme 4x4, but I didn’t know who she was. I ask her if she thought this guy from ESPN was going to be OK. It looked like he was going to puke before his run. She said I’m not sure who is he? I replied with hell if I know. I don’t have a clue who any of these celebrity drivers are. Yeah. She shot me a funny look and then she was up next to drive. So Sorry Jessie I don’t watch TV.
Sweet. I'm still sifting through your photos. :drool:

holeski

Yeah they where all no zoom. I was that close.
nice action shots eric . i like it :lol:

holeski

Feel free to hot link and talk about the photos.

Advent

That one desert racer...I think there's more money in the lights alone than most of us have into our entire rigs.

TJVigilante

[Image: 0106.JPG]

That dude has always looked so strange to me....his head just looks so.....SMALL!!!

Pretty cool pics Eric.

holeski

Yeah but a legend in his own time. More wins in the Baja 1000 then any other driver. Drove and navigated by himself plus he has helped move the spot forward more then anyone else to date.

naturalbornmudder

this is very cool to have an AO vendor vending his wares at SEMA and showing off his "go-go Gadget" tie rod spotting skills at We RockBig Grin

holeski

Kelly when do we get to make yours look like this.
[Image: 094.JPG]

I like Vegas since you and I got to hang out more.

holeski

[Image: 0048.JPG]
seeing that thing so low and wide is just darn right sexy rig .. remember the 80' rigs in the mags with 4-6 chrome shocks per corner and rebar leave springs and 36 in ground hawgs ?man we have come along way
I'm prolly opening up a can of worms that should have it's own thread, but does anyone else think its lame that the course is fake? I mean, not real rocks?

naturalbornmudder

well, yes and no. I think it is lame for we rock, but I would love to have a mini fabbed course up here for the club to play on. See, different rigs are set up for different things obviously, I couldn't touch Kev's Blaze or Forrests Blaze in a mud hole but my heep does pretty well in twisty gullies and rock formation stuff.

holeski

No, at first I thought the same thing that’s cheating. So I went looking for more info while I was there. It has to be looked to two ways. One how do we bring people to see it and two how do we keep it challenging. So first on the background. There where 4 pours which one was a two part course so they’re where 5 courses at any given time. Now the difficulty of the each course would change depending one where the cones where set. Trust me this was very, very planned out. They where made for at lest 4 events over two years and then planed to be destroyed. There isn’t as much traction as you think over the whole course. There where holes in some that where filled with real dirt and rocks and some with water so it could get slick. Also after a tire spun over a cretin spot a few time is was just as bad as any slick rock I have ever seen. So they have to keep it close to town so people will show up for it and be tuff enough that it is challenging to drive and fun to watch. This is where a lot of the money go to keep it going. Throw out the W.E. Rock season most of the courses are on real trails so it also helps balance out the scoring.
So it's done that way primarily to make the most money the easiest and quickest?

I dunno. to me, it takes the "man vs. nature" out of it. I like to look at a pile of boulders and say "wow. that'd be fun to crawl over". I just don'w get the same feeling from lumps of cement.

holeski

That and Vegas is flat! I don't know come over here and I'll take you to my cement test course and you might change your mind.
Loose, shifting "boulders" are different than poured cement. I guess I had to be there.

holeski

It's also a way different type of wheeling. They are not alowed to back up so they have to spin there front or rear ends with burns to make the tight turns. Far from trail riding.

TJVigilante

You have a cement test course? Oh, that's where you got the pictures of the new tires at.

AK20

Just thought I would point out that it's a concrete course, not a cement course...Cement is an ingredient that concrete is made with, not trying to be stickler...just wanted to point that out being in the buisness and all, now back to your regular scheduled programs. Oh and awesome pics Eric, you suck for being able to go there!!!
Get back here and argue in person!
sheesh.
Part of me doesn't like the "concrete made with cement" course. I, like Geoff, like looking at boulders more than poured concrete. However, I imagine that it is similar to some of the areas around "slickrock" in Moab. And to see the amazing feats these guys (and girls) do in their rigs is truly cool. As Eric said, it is a completely different type of wheeling. The fact that they designed it to be used multiple times with different courses adds to the coolness.

Ryan, you absolutely need to get back here soon so we can vote you in to presidency!

Geoff - trouslap to you - how is arguing on the computer ever really arguing in person?
I all see is red X's

holeski

they where off of Pirate4x4.
Pages: 1 2