Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Homepage Poll: What is your final axle upgrade combo?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Vote and discuss...

TJVigilante

Don't know about final...but I'm looking at a 9" 35 spline detroit rear with disc brakes, and a 33 spline Dana 44 ARB with CTM ujoints.
Going with 4.88 gears, alloy axles front and rear, ECTED Locker in the front, and E-Locker in the rear.

AK20

I already have 1-tons with lockers for both ends and 4.56's, down the road I might upgrade to 5.13's or 5.38's. I could however see myself going to Rocks down the road, I do know a super secret squirel place that I might get them on the cheap so...
I don't know any secret squirrels - sometimes you make me wonder.... Big Grin
However, eventually rockwells will probably replace the current set-up
Which is 1 Ton's, locked fornt and rear, with 4.88:1 gears.

AK20

ChevyKev Wrote:I don't know any secret squirrels - sometimes you make me wonder.... Big Grin

That's why you don't know the location of these Rocks! Cool :whistle: lol!

akdsmer

I didn't see upgrading to 1/2 ton as an option....Big Grin

currently locked up front and rear stock axles and gears. Looking at Dana 44s or Toyota axles with selectable locker in the front and a locker in the rear. Gears to remain close to the same (3.73).
I said upgrade stock axles which are 1 tons currently with gears and lockers. I currently run 4:10`s Detroit rear and will be using the locked 60 front in my Diesel shortbed.
I'm with Kelly, didn't see 1/2 tons. Plan on full width 1/2 tons. 9.25 rear D44 front. 4.56 gears, detroit locker for the rear and ARB for the front.
I think I'm just going to upgrade my stock axles for now. Not sure what I'm going to do way down the road but for now I think I'm going to just go with a Super 44 with 33 splines and an OX in the rear and a Super 30 with an ARB and 30 splines. For what I use my jeep for this will be more then plenty beef.

4x4_MMMH_4x4

toyota will go to 3/4's eventually and chevy is sitting on 1 tons

Ronster

Have the ARB locker for the front, now I just gotta do it. Maybe looking at a selecable for the rear. Hoping to not have to regear, but I am running 3.73s...

TJVigilante

When you install that ARB, could you take pictures of how tie air line ties into the locker itself?
Question, are we actually ever done with axle upgrades. Anything can break, and when things magically appear in front of you, it's hard not to jump.

Ronster

TJVigilante Wrote:When you install that ARB, could you take pictures of how tie air line ties into the locker itself?

Sure thing. I am hoping to get this in by the end of the year. Who knows, maybe some Christmas down time.......Rolleyes
my next rig build up will be a 60 front and 14 bolt rear, the 44 and Toy 8" has done the Yeti well but when it sells I'll start fresh with more beef under a FSJ or something else I can cut up and cage yet still seat 5 comfortablyBig Grin
Jamakeit Wrote:but when it sells I'll

The YETI is for sale? :eek:
yup, even with the 1-ton axle swap I still couldn't seat 5 for a day of fun wheelin so both the XJ and the Yeti will go up for sale if I can ever decide on a price.
Jamakeit Wrote:yup, even with the 1-ton axle swap I still couldn't seat 5 for a day of fun wheelin so both the XJ and the Yeti will go up for sale if I can ever decide on a price.
It's all about the family. Good on ya - but I'm sure you'll be sad to see them go.
Right now I have the 10K heavy duty halfshafts and 2.73 gears (Gears are AMC-20). The geared hubs are 1.92 so that puts me at 5.24

I wanna go to the 12.5K halfshafts and 3.08 gears eventually, that would put me at 5.91, perfect ratio for 42's. The 12K shafts are about 40-50 % stronger than the stock light duty original shafts. The heavy duty 10K shafts I have in it now are 20% stronger than the stock light duty shafts.