Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
York Air Compressor build
This thread will document my York Onboard Air install, as I get pictures to go along with the story.

A year ago I was contemplating adding an air compressor to my Jeep, and I was pretty dead-set on running an elecric Viair pump, because it was relatively cheap and very easy to install. I was turned onto the York belt-driven compressor instead, mostly due to my getting the compressor for a steal. The advantage of the York is the air volume...100% duty cycle, engine-driven and capable of any pressure you want...10cfm with the engine running at 2500rpm, compared to Viair's 2.5cfm peak airflow rate. it's more expensive in the end to get everything working right(expect upwards of $1000 if you go with all new, Kilby "approved" parts...my cost total will be under $600 for parts, not including tools to make it work) but hopefully it'll be well worth it.

$10 got me a junkyard-quality thing...still had oil in the crankcase and everything...all grungy with dirt and filth. I cleaned it up and rebuilt it with hand-cut thin cork gaskets(and RTV silicone between the head and valve plate). Gave it a shot of paint that turned out horribly because of a layer of brakleen still on it from cleaning it. Oh well, looks better than when I bought it anyway.

[Image: STA71749.JPG]

After finishing that up, I ordered some fittings from Kilby, but learned that they were the wrong ones...they're currently for sale to anyone who has the right style head.
I tried ordering the right fittings but sometime between when I ordered the first set and when I tried ordering the next set, their shipping options changed, and it would have cost more to ship than to actually buy them. So instead I decided to cut the cast-in threads off and drill/tap the head to 1/2" npt and run some lower-profile 90* fittings.

(placeholder for progress pic)

Messages In This Thread
York Air Compressor build - by TJVigilante - 03 May 07, 07:32 pm
York Air Compressor build - by TJVigilante - 03 May 07, 07:48 pm
York Air Compressor build - by TJVigilante - 04 May 07, 11:32 pm
York Air Compressor build - by sevenslats - 05 May 07, 02:19 pm
York Air Compressor build - by TJVigilante - 03 Jun 07, 04:08 pm
York Air Compressor build - by sevenslats - 04 Jun 07, 07:55 am
York Air Compressor build - by TJVigilante - 04 Jun 07, 10:02 am
York Air Compressor build - by sevenslats - 04 Jun 07, 10:26 am
York Air Compressor build - by TJVigilante - 04 Jun 07, 03:29 pm
York Air Compressor build - by TJVigilante - 04 Jun 07, 07:40 pm