Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cummin's anyone?
Okay, someday I'd like to do this, so I thought I'd throw this out there.

I found this place. http://www.autoworldmt.com They specialize in Cummin's repowers. They did a 91 Burb last year and it went very well. They do everything including a good trans swap for $15K up to $22K if you want the latest 24V etc.

I'd have to swap a 14FF in the rear to hold the power, but it's tempting. However, after talking to them this morning, I'm thinking this is something that if the 6.2L gives me any more guff, I could probably do myself. Just not for a little while until the checking account is healthier. I did a little searching and can find an early 12V that's all mechanical like my 6.2L so it would be a simple as far as electronics go swap.

I called a few places listed on car-part.com and found several good 91-93 donors that would include NV4500 5-speeds and a passenger side drop NP205 for a little over $3K. Again, out of the cards now, but definitely a thought for the future. After talking to the Auto World folks in Montana, they said that the 91 Burb is an excellent choice as it's one of the vehicles that didn't require sheet metal work to get the motor into. They said they could sell me the mounts and brackets to get everything to mount up, and the rest would be fairly easy. Although they highly recommended I find a better rear end as the 10-bolt wouldn't hold up long to the 5.9L. I agreed on that point. The only other concern they had was that the 5.9L weighs about three hundred pounds more than the 6.2L, so they recommended a set of front air bags like the ones I installed in the rear to help offset the added weight and keep the ride height appropriate.

Again, this is probably something I wouldn't do for quite awhile, but now after looking into it more, wish I would've put my rebuild money into this instead of the 6.2L's I worked on for the last several months.

Oh well, lessons learned. Hopefully someone else can utilize some of this info if I don't.

Messages In This Thread
Cummin's anyone? - by AKMark - 15 Nov 07, 10:14 am
Cummin's anyone? - by akdsmer - 15 Nov 07, 10:21 am
Cummin's anyone? - by Bulldog - 15 Nov 07, 12:55 pm
Cummin's anyone? - by akram - 15 Nov 07, 04:02 pm
Cummin's anyone? - by AKMark - 15 Nov 07, 09:44 pm
Cummin's anyone? - by 78calico - 15 Nov 07, 09:47 pm
Cummin's anyone? - by 93hummer - 18 Nov 07, 10:54 am
Cummin's anyone? - by Fix_It - 18 Nov 07, 01:09 pm
Cummin's anyone? - by AKMark - 18 Nov 07, 01:16 pm
Cummin's anyone? - by Advent - 22 Nov 07, 06:19 pm
Cummin's anyone? - by AKMark - 22 Nov 07, 10:31 pm