Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propane
Has any one tried these conversions?

http://www.gotpropane.com

Or heard any thing Good or Bad?
Saw that website b4, been tempted on converting in the past but never have done it. Cab companies up hear in the late 80`s used propane, and I know of a buddy that had a propane kit he could swap it over while driving either way gas 2 propane or vice versa. Seems like a sweet idea.
my two cents
guys love it down here
anybody needs to know about it get with draggbody-shop owner/odis (from havoc)-admin guy
odis just convented his truck/k5
I know that a lot of articles that I have read about the conversion rave about it. Talking abouty how much better things run etc...might really be worth looking into. What vehicle are you thinking about doing this to??
I just found the site and looked and sounded cool! Possably the YJ! Not commited to any one setup yet so, this might be th route to take! A lot easier than Wiring a bunch of computer Shiat!
check out this site to http://www.alternatefuelsracing.com/
Looks like a way to go since you would be able to remove it for emissions testing; just take the tank out.

Now you've peeked my interest. Going to have to look into that further. Maybe this would help my Full Size Bronco out
Actually My buddy had it on his 85 Bronco and didn't have to have an IM test! He had it set up so he could go back and forth from Propane to Gas! A lot better on fuel!
I don't know about the propane thing, but crawling side ways down a trail like that is just freakin' cool!
I have been thinking about doing it but most of my stuff is EFI.
hey what are the emissions laws up here with propane??? does anybody know??? this might be the way to go with the jeep and my brown truck...
I know lots of diesel guys that have been doing this for many years. Propane gives some of the best fuel mileage and great power. It is the most efficent fuel.
Supposedly propane vehicles have to pass the same emissions test as a gasoline vehicle, so you aren't exempt.

Propane for road use can only be purchased at a select few stations in Alaska. I think there are 5 or 6. Meaning before a road trip, you'd better stock up.

Propane's also not-so-good in cold weather, but that can be worked around.

There's also the not-so-minor issue of mounting a tank somewhere. It has to be vented to the outside of the vehicle (no tearing out the back seat to put it in). There are very few places to put them on an SUV.
Anyone ever work out the IM issues? I'm thinking about this for that 79 Pacer... Only issue is finding a safe place to mount the tank,,,:confused:
crazy4ink Wrote:Looks like a way to go since you would be able to remove it for emissions testing; just take the tank out.

If there is any part of the propane system installed, it will be required to be fully functional for I/M testing purposes.

for 75 and new vehicles in the FNSB, you will be required to have it tested at the I/M Program Office. Someone I know there does the testing. Wink

For feedback-equipped vehicles (O2 sensor), the Propane injection system will have to be a certified system for that application (EO# needed) and will have it's own computer system to meter the fuel.

On propane, the TAC (enclosed air cleaner assembly) is not required as the propane is injected as a gas, unlike gasoline. All other emissions components will be required unless specifically addressed in the EO# provided by CARB.

To get the most power out of propane, you need higher compression and a recurved distributor. You will also need quality exhaust valves if you plan on this giving you trouble free operation. I see many with bad exhaust valves, especially on the older engines.

The 85 bronco is required to still be tested. If he really isn't getting it tested, he is somehow evading the I/M program...

My opinion: Propane...the fuel of the early 80's (while it was cheap). Fuel injection has made it an unnecessary burden. Like Advent states, the convenient fuel stations are few and far between, who are you going to bum a gallon of propane from? Your neighbor?
Thanks Kelly...

I was thinking about a dual fuel type system. If gas prices continue to rise it might be more practical. However I was not aware of the limited source for legal road use fuel. I assume most people just fill the tanks at RV fill stations. That avoids the tax and makes it illegal for on use as vehicle fuel right? It's not sounding very practical at this point but still might be a fun project.
AKCJ8 Wrote:Thanks Kelly...

I was thinking about a dual fuel type system. If gas prices continue to rise it might be more practical. However I was not aware of the limited source for legal road use fuel. I assume most people just fill the tanks at RV fill stations. That avoids the tax and makes it illegal for on use as vehicle fuel right? It's not sounding very practical at this point but still might be a fun project.

I don't care about the road tax. It probably isn't illegal unless there is some regulation on it like there is on gasoline and diesel. In reality there are only about 15-20 propane systems running around in our neck of the woods (that are getting I/M's anyways) so it isn't a big loss for the state.

I meant that if you are in Cantwell at midnight, you can use your credit card to fill up and continue. You can't do that with propane. You can't bum a few gallons of propane while stuck out on the trail either.

If you really have enough time on your hands to make a PACER a project, you could always just help all of us clubmembers on ours! lol
akdsmer Wrote:If you really have enough time on your hands to make a PACER a project, you could always just help all of us clubmembers on ours! lol
Thats my biggest problem... More projects then time. I'm so good at dreaming up things to do.... I really need to finish the ones I have before I dive into anything else. Rolleyes
I still think Propane is the way to go with a trail only rig. Almost ever gas station, mini mart, grocery store, Wal-Mart, RV Park or RV tourist site has Propane for sale.