Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LED marker lights
I was looking at getting some marker lights for my Jeep so I can hack off the front fenders and remain legal. I'm looking at
This Site
and thinking of getting the 4" 10LED lights for the front turn signals, and a pair of the 2" flush mounted lights for the fenders behind the wheel wells.

I'll need new flashers for them, any suggestions?
[Image: AUT6001C.jpg]

I was thinking of chopping off the corners of my massive hood and then using these headlight/turn signal combos... they are 7 inch I'm not sure of the size of TJ headlights.... just an idea.http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/browse.lass...00C&skip=1
They'd fit...but I dunno. $180 for a pair...that's a little out of my range. The LED markers shipped are only $70-ish, and that's with all the wiring and grommet mounts. Add a flasher and I'm done.
When you figure in that they're also H4 housings it's really not costing that much extra.
I went and dug up some info on them...

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticle...n_signals/

They look great, my only concern is the plastic. I'd rather have glass headlights. I'd like to know that my headlight lenses won't ever fade.

I'll probably still end up with these though. Wonder how well they'd take 55/110W bulbs? Big Grin
Thread necromancy wins the day!

Looking for some affordable lights that can tie into the factory wiring. Anyone been looking around lately for this stuff? I'm about to head off but I'll check stuff out tomorrow. I'd like to get a full front set for under $100 shipped. I priced those out earlier but I'm not sure of prices lately.

EDIT: forgot i actually had a link in the original thread, and the prices seem to be the same or even lower. Woohoo! What I need mostly is information on what types of pigtails I need to get this stuff to work. The side lights work with a 2-wire pigtail but the larger ones use a 3-wire one...do the side markers and front turn signals on a TJ follow that pattern? I'm assuming from Nate's old TJ that I won't need a different flasher to slow down the signal...or will I? Because my left turn signal flashes faster because i'm missing the bulb in the front signal housing.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/led1/led-3.htm

thats a good way to fix the flasher if you go with LED's, I did it and it works great.
Awesome, that solves that problem. Thanks! I started reading and thought I'd have to buy a whole new flasher...I'm pretty comfortable modifying a circuit board so that's what I'm going to do.

Now I need to count the wires coming off of my lights, order those above if they work and get a test light.
I've been thinking about getting the H4 conversions and drilling a hole in the bottom and gooing in some LED flash bulbs. I figured it would be like the ricers who put the LEDs in to change the color of their headlights. Hmmm just a thought I'm still hashing it out in my head though. The conversions are cheap though running around $15/pair on ebay. They're two piece too so it doesn't seem that hard to slap a piece of metal or what not in the bottom to seperate the two.
yeah I guess it's possible...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...0124408111
Just went out and looked at my front turn signals and they're 3-wire, so unless those housings ground the turn signal to the housing, it won't work for what I need.

In fact, I just sent the seller a question asking that exact thing. Got a response back.."I think they must be" as in grounded. I think I'll go with another seller for these. :p

Another look shows that it's just an amber bulb inside the housing, one would think that it would be overpowered by the H4 bulb with the headlights on.

There's also these with the pimptacular multiple colored "dots" and isolated turn signal reflectors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eB...0305260951

:p
From what I've seen the led dots will just change the color of the housing just in front. well.... if you were staring at the headlight it would look like blue or green or whatever but the actual light in front of the car used to drive would overpower whatever it was. uhhh yeah that's real clear.... I think all the combo turnsignal/parking hookups are three wire. I did some testing and the bulb worked when grounded to the body. I had the brilliant idea of using lisense plate lights for turn signals. They look decent but don't flash. The bulbs don't put through enough power to trigger the flasher. Oh and I learned you can't use the hazards to test because that flasher doesn't rely on the bulbs to tell it it's working. OH wait maybe it's a different flasher mechanizm thingy. I wonder it it'll plug into the regular one.
Found another site with some better prices, not sure on shipping, but there's a lot more options in styles. I'm looking at these for the front:
http://www.vehiclelight.com/1tl13ai.html
and these for the sides but they don't really match:
http://www.vehiclelight.com/2clleamledma.html

I don't want to go 4" on the side, just want to have something that reflects and emits light to be legal. Another issue is none of those actually state if they have the pigtails necessary to run them. ugh.

Another issue I just thought of is visibility of my brand new bling...

[Image: dscn02391024x768.jpg]

Pretty hard to see the area under the headlight if you're not directly in front of the Jeep. Might have to get the H4 housings.

I'll wait for the seller of those housings with the amber reflectors to get back to me on the details of the wiring, and I might just go ahead and get them later on when I have the money to do everything at once. My paid webhosting is due now so that's priority.
you should be able to get the 4" and 2" LEDs and any pigtails and grommets needed at Power and Transmission. Pretty standard stuff.
Interesting, I'll stop by tomorrow and see what they have to work with.
You will need a no load flasher to keep the the lights working properly
The website I posted up takes care of the no load flasher
ahhh I must've overlooked the website. that's cool I'm gonna cut mine open now Big Grin

ooohhh and his LED lights look like pretty flowers too...
Woohoo hooray for old technology. :p I have the old metal round ones. I put the hazard one in the turn slot and now it flashes with one bulb. I have to hook up the markers now and see if they flash like they did with the hazards.
78calico Wrote:you should be able to get the 4" and 2" LEDs and any pigtails and grommets needed at Power and Transmission. Pretty standard stuff.

That's what I was going to say. Good prices. I like the look of the tiny round side markers in the hood like this one. They have those there too. Check out a UPS truck with those - bright little mofos.
[Image: merc_gt_frnt_page.JPG]
Also check out the cut down hood and raised tube fenders I'll be borrowing design cues from in a few years...

To keep the turn signals on the cheap and easy you could mount some small ones in the upper corners of the outer grille slats. No hole cutting, keep the stock headlights, simple flat brackets and some sheetmetal screws. Just an idea.
Ebay just did a search on led marker lights and got over 1000 hits
The tough part about buying on ebay is you don't know exactly what it is you're getting half the time. Most auctions on Ebay have a general template for the dude's store, conditions of sale and shipping, etc...but not many details about the products themselves. I'd really prefer to deal in-person locally, because if something gets pooched I can talk to a dude's face rather than send unanswered emails and get hung up on over the phone. Then again, I was looking at specific sites...and sometimes they'd be worse to work with if they're in the less-than-honorable mindset because they don't have big brother Ebay breathing down their necks.

Those tiny ones look pretty sweet..I might have to go with them. Wiring them would be a snap too, just run it along the inside of the hood and use the hood light wiring loom to keep the hinge area clean.

the highline fenders are something I'm looking at doing as well, btw
So why do you need side markers ? Is it because of the year ?
Needs to be legal...
SHoppe715 Wrote:That's what I was going to say. Good prices. I like the look of the tiny round side markers in the hood like this one. They have those there too. Check out a UPS truck with those - bright little mofos.
[Image: merc_gt_frnt_page.JPG]
Also check out the cut down hood and raised tube fenders I'll be borrowing design cues from in a few years...

To keep the turn signals on the cheap and easy you could mount some small ones in the upper corners of the outer grille slats. No hole cutting, keep the stock headlights, simple flat brackets and some sheetmetal screws. Just an idea.

I just ordered two pairs of those little ones and I think I'm going to put one pair up on the hood as you see there, and figure out where to put the other pair. Probably toss them in a temporary spot on the fenders that'll get cut off, until I get tube fenders then I'll just toss them onto the gusset or into the tubes themselves. Or, if I go with highline fenders at the same time, I'll just toss both up on the hood on the part that'll be cut off, then move one up higher, and one down to the fender.

I went by Power and Transmission today but the guy didn't seem to really care about selling anything...he just sat there staring at the light board waiting for me to ask questions. He wasn't willing to look up any lights that weren't on display that they might have or be able to order, and just seemed uninterested overall. I DID buy a replacement bulb for my daylighter though, so that's cool. Big Grin I'll wire them back up when I do the LEDs. That just leaves rewiring and plumbing the air compressor, installing the winch control panel, installing the driver's side Ujoint and getting two new Unit bearings before I leave for Livengood.
That's odd about P&T. Confusedhrug: I've always gotten great help and service there...maybe it's 'cause I'm a little less hippie lookin'...:thefinger:

I'm pretty sure those little 3/4" ones are for side markers only. The front facing ambers need to turn on steady with park and headlights and then also flash as turn signals - 3 wires. The side facing markers obviously also turn on with the park and headlights but don't need to flash - 2 wires. TJs are setup to flash the amber side markers but with the 2 wire pigtail it's only on/off. The front ambers flash together with the side markers when the headlights are off and high/low with headlights on (high when side markers are off so they alternate the flash) How all that electircal majik happens is beyond me, I just know the fronts need 3 wires, the sides need 2, and a little bit o' trial and error figures out which wires are which on any aftermarket lights.

Most modern cars wrap the turn signals around the corners to kill both stones with one bird.