Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tire size with 10 Bolt diffs
If I decide to keep the 10 bolt running gear on my 1987 Chevy 1/2 Ton truck, what's the max tire size I can run without breaking axles everytime out? I know this depends a lot on the driver, but if I keep the throttle sensible how big can I go?

I was hoping for 35's, but may have to settle for 33's. I'm planning a locker for the rear and possibly one for the front.
maybe some 34x10.50 LTB's or 34x9.50 TSL's. These are aggressive yet narrow tires that would give pretty good traction without being too big, heavy and hard on parts.
Mousee ran 36's on his front 10 bolt....don't think he has alloy shafts either.

Rear 12 bolt, but the strength isn't much higher between the two.

Then again, this is under a lightweight YJ...

If you start having problems with breakage, I have a 14 bolt semifloater all set up with 4.56's and auburn posi...should bolt right in.
with a big block? hmmmm.
sevenslats Wrote:with a big block? hmmmm.

Gonna keep the 350 in there unless I go with 1 ton running gear, then it will time to go with a 454.

The 350 in this truck only has 1,000 miles or so (3 years time, the PO was deployed in Iraq) since installed.
Actually I run a ten bolt front and rear. the rear is spooled (welded). I have beat the crap out of it and still one peace. I have kept the 1310 u-joints though as my fusable link. I have yet to break a joint though, just yokes, and that was because I was running without a traction bar and my pinion would move out of phase.
Kevin has been running ten bolts under his blazer for a few years (pretty sure) with big rubber with good success. I think he has broken more spring alignment pins than ujoints or axles... lol
My personal opinion is that people under estimate this axle and spend way too much time on the internet and not enough time getting personall real world experiance. How many generations of "I heard it from" has the info gone through?
I say run your 35's, drive like a human and enjoy the axles you have...

Just my two cents, hope it helps Big Grin
If I recall correctly, Kevin snapped both sides of his front end the very first trip after the locker and 38's went in.

That's when he swapped to one tons.
Mousee is also only a 4.2L.. Not a 5.7L with alot more HP.
I think the largest tire "recomended" on a 1/2 ton axle is 33".
But Thats the real world.
I ran 36" TSL's on a front D44, pretty comparable in strength to a 10 bolt...I wheeled pretty hard with it, lots of high R's and mud to firm ground with lots of traction and no problems. I also had a Blazer with 10 bolts front and rear and 35's, wheeled the crap out of that also, never had any axle problems...went through a few ujoints on the driveshaft though.

My opinion, from a guy who has run nothing but Chevy's for the last 10 years...A lot depends on what type of tire you run, the 10 bolt will hold up fine with a less aggresive 35" tire and a moderate throttle...like a BFG mud terrain, TSL or AT. Throw on some 35" Boggers and I'll bet you'll have issues, so short story...I'd have no issues going with 35's if I were you, just pick up some spare shafts and ujoints and rock out. Bonus is you should be able to get some spare parts for next to nothing since they aren't that popular.
mousee Wrote:Kevin has been running ten bolts under his blazer for a few years (pretty sure) with big rubber with good success. I think he has broken more spring alignment pins than ujoints or axles... lol

I did run 10 bolt axles with 35's for years without problems.
Then I went to 38.5 TSLs and had no problems.
Then I installed a front lock-right and snappy snappy!

Advent Wrote:If I recall correctly, Kevin snapped both sides of his front end the very first trip after the locker ...

That's when he swapped to one tons.

And so yes, I went to the Dana 60 with a 14 bolt, 4.88's, lockers fornt and rear, and 39.5 Boggers.

AK20 Wrote:My opinion, from a guy who has run nothing but Chevy's for the last 10 years...A lot depends on what type of tire you run, the 10 bolt will hold up fine with a less aggresive 35" tire and a moderate throttle...like a BFG mud terrain, TSL or AT. Throw on some 35" Boggers and I'll bet you'll have issues, so short story...I'd have no issues going with 35's if I were you, just pick up some spare shafts and ujoints and rock out. Bonus is you should be able to get some spare parts for next to nothing since they aren't that popular.

I have run Chevy trucks since I've been driving. I've actively wheeled those for over a dozen years. 10 bolts and 35's were common setup on many of my vehicles and I haven't been necessarily easy on them, though I haven't had them in a lot of rocks. So I'll agree with Ryan.
ChevyKev Wrote:I have run Chevy trucks since I've been driving.
10 years is how long I've been drivingBig Grin :eek:

ChevyKev Wrote:So I'll agree with Ryan

Hooray!!!

Forgot to ask, do you plan on locking the front?
AK20 Wrote:10 years is how long I've been drivingBig Grin :eek:

:lol: nice try!:lol:
ChevyKev Wrote::lol: nice try!:lol:

It is!!...I'm 26 now, 16 to drive, first vehicle was a 1979 3/4 ton Chevy...matter of fact, the exact same color blue as the 74 I have nowWink
AK20 Wrote:It is!!...I'm 26 now, 16 to drive, first vehicle was a 1979 3/4 ton Chevy...matter of fact, the exact same color blue as the 74 I have nowWink

Ya know, right after I posted that I thought - he can't be that much younger than me, can he???? :eek: :angry: CRAP!!! Sad
ill probably be wheeling a 1/2 ton truck for awhile also... that is until i can afford to upgrade to 3.4 tons, im still waiting on shocks to get here for the lift...
If I go with the 1/2 ton gear, I'll probably be with it for awile. I'll have money tied up in wheels, tires, lockers. Probably have to wait until breakage necessitates upgrading to 1 ton running gear.

1 ton running gear will take more investment and tires are more expensive for 16" wheels than 15" wheels. Kind of a catch-22. Seems like 15" tires vs. 16" tires for same heigth and width were about $100 per tire difference.
You could do the 'half ton brakes on a one ton axle' thing to run 15" wheels up front.

Edit: Here are the brackets you would need:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-DANA-6...dZViewItem

Edit2: Even cheaper:
http://www.screaminseeman.com/calipermounts.htm
Advent Wrote:You could do the 'half ton brakes on a one ton axle' thing to run 15" wheels up front.

15 inch rims will fit over Dana 30 brakes with minor trimming of the exterior of the brake caliper.

15 inch rims also fit very nicely over 14 bolt hubs.
Agreed with Kev, you can run 15" wheels on a D60...you just have to have to get the correct backspacing, and a little finess to the calipers...most guys just save the trouble and go 16" or bigger. Like Kev said, no issues with the 14 bolt and 15's...