Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignition Troubles
I have a 1991 Toyota Pickup that my Rubicon replaced. Just a week before I was going to advertise selling it, my luck, the key broke off in the ignition. I had a locksmith try to retreive it, but it was just the very tip. I have since tried to drill out the ignition so I can just start it with a screwdriver and take it into town to get the lock cylinder replaced.

The lock cylinder is drilled out very well, but I still can not get the switch to turn to accessory or to crank. Does anyone have any ideas or experience working with the same problem? This is my first ignition work like this, so I'm bascially clueless. Would appreciate any and I mean ANY help... :lol:

As you all know, i'm leaving in early March, and have to get this rig fixed and sold by atleast February. Thanks.
You could buy a manual to see what is needed to pull the steering wheel and replace the ignition yourself,any chilton or haynes should show it.
I should be able to help you pop out the cylinder. Normally, you can order an ignition cylinder with a new key from Napa or Schucks.
You don't know how much of a help that would be! I was planning on just getting the thing started somehow and then having Toyota throw in a new cylinder.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a retainer ring that allows the cylinder to be freed rather easily, BUT the ignition has to be in accessory position. That is what I am having a hard time getting.

I would appreciate it if you could help though.
Where on base do you live? When would be good for you?
I live off Broadway on Edna Ave. Thats another thing thats more uncomfortable than a problem really. We don't have garages, so the truck is not sitting in a nice warm garage. :x I work mids, but only have to work tonight (Tuesday) and Wednesday night and then go on night standby until after the holidays. So really, anytime that is convenient for you. You are the one being a huge help to me, I will work to your schedule. Thanks again!
Oh, and I will gladly pay you for your troubles.
Would have posted back sooner, but I just got to where I could post again. Right now, it's looking like either Friday afternoon or Saturday afternoon.

Give me a call at the house 372-3264 and give me your number so I can call you.
No problem man, I appreciate the help period, so like I said, whenever is more convenient for you... you can give me a call at 372-1123... just ask for Aaron... ask for Bulldawg, and my wife will probably hang up on you... ;D
Bulldawg --> Man, I tried today with that ignition. I've never had one kick my butt that bad. I really thought it would have just come right out. Wish I could have been more helpful man.
Hey don't worry about it... I appreciate your help atleast giving it a shot! Atleast now I have somewhere to go with it. I was stuck dead before you showed me more about it. Like I said today, you did more than you think you did.

Also, I know you are moving here pretty soon, if there is anything I can do to help you out, don't hesitate to ask.
Update:

Got that booger started finally. Whatever the mechanical piece right behind the key tumbler is, well thats broke too, but hopefully soon as I switch that out, it will be all fine and dandy. If this lady that has been wanting to buy it doesn't, then you'll be seeing it on the for sale board soon. ;D
Got it... its done... finally got this thing ready to sell... going to offer it first to the lady that has been wanting it ever since last summer first. If she does not want it, it will go here before I put it on the Eielson For Sale Board.
So, was Gary able to get you squared away???

Glad to see you got it.
I talked to Gary, and had I not got it lined up last night, I was going to take it to him today so he could have gotten me fixed up. Great guy!
He has forgotten more about locks than most locksmiths will ever know!!
It would seem that way... he knows alot, and now I've got another job for him hopefully. Bonehead me threw away the old key when I was cleaning up the Yota without even thinking i need that key for the doors and gas latch... DOH!!! So I need a blank cut to the key code...

Anyone have his number? i had it on a sticky note and lost it
Nevermind, got it taken care of.
Gary's # is 452-4606
Just in case you or anyone else needs it!
Wink
good to see you got this thing going!!! now sell her!!!