Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wal*Mart Batteries
In July of '02, in Missouri, I bought two batteries - 900 cranking amps - roughly $60 per battery. With 3 year free replacement and 9 year pro-rated warranty. These batteries have been great for me - until recently...

However, in June of '04 one of the threads where the post screws in stripped out. I took it back to Walmart and was given a new one, complete with receipt for 3 year free replacement - but they had upgraded and it was 950 Cranking amps! They also refunded me my MO sales tax I had paid - as I was in Wasilla and there was no sales tax!

Today I took them both into Walmart, but they didn't have that model. So the one that was replaced in '04 they replaced with the 1000 cranking amp battery for $4. It would have been free, but the extra $4 is worth the 50 cranking amps.

The other one, that I bought in '02, was pro rated and I paid about half of what the cost of the replacement was - and it was a 100 cranking amp upgrade. Smile

I had both tested at NAPA first, the older one said "replace now" the opther said, "replace soon" I told the Walm*Mart people that they wouldn't hold a charge and got no arguments, tests, or other questions.

So I now have 2 brand new, 1000 cranking amp batteries and it cost me less than $50.
The old ones lasted 5 years through 4 very harsh winters.
I have no complaints.
interesting info. Glad to hear it worke dout.

What is the average life expectancy for a non-gel battery?
In my experience, under heavy useage, about 5 years up here.

So if after 5 years I get 1/2 off of a brand new one - I'm happy! Big Grin
I've been getting a year per battery, but that's because they sit...

Costco and Sam's both have excellent battery warranties. I had to buy a Sam's battery to replace a Costco unit (since I can't just hop over to Costco to replace it) a couple years ago, and I seem to be swapping the batteries out every spring.

I really wonder how long that warranty is going to be offered, at least around here.
I bought an Exide Orbital at sams 2.8 years ago, with a 3 year warranty. Now sam's doesn't carry orbitals. I need to warrantee this thing soon.
Exide used to have an office/warehouse in the backside of the same building as American Fast Freight on the corner of Lathrop and Van Horn. I don't know if they are still there.
sevenslats Wrote:I bought an Exide Orbital at sams 2.8 years ago, with a 3 year warranty. Now sam's doesn't carry orbitals. I need to warrantee this thing soon.

Napa carries Orbital's now.
Advent Wrote:I've been getting a year per battery, but that's because they sit.
Pony up for an Optima deep cycle and your battery issues will be solved. My truck sat for nearly a year and it still started without a jump. Even if the charge is completely drained you just charge it back up. These are great for winches too repated charge/discharge won't damage them. They're a little spendy but worth every penny. I run two of them.
he's got to get his rig running before investing in an Optima Wink

and that doesn't look like it's going to happen very soon, he's in Juneau for the summer.
Yup, in Juneau until a couple days before Labor Day.

I don't care about the power needed for a winch; mine's a PTO Wink
That doesn't count if it's sitting in a tote outside my front door. Big Grin