Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local Business Review Thread
This thread is used to review local businesses within our hobby range.

The NAPA store in North Pole is a really great place. I don't know the gentleman's name that works there, but he has been extremely helpful to me. He spent 45 minutes on the phone with me a couple weeks ago when I was just pricing tie rods. The prices are a little steep but that may be because I am still getting use to Alaska's economy.
NEVER Do any buisness with Dave's Auto in North Pole. They like to do extra unnecessary work and charge you outragious prices >Sad >Sad >Sad
youngs hasent been earning many kudos with me lately... pretty terrible prices, if people want there stuff bought locally they should think about competition, i can get much better prices on stuff even after shipping for my truck... performance shop is good if your a regular buyer, he does have ALOT of stuff in stock... if you have friends that work for places, that seems to help a lot, the stupid mentality goes down... NXC!!! got to throw some props damiens way, hes really got a nice business going for him... i wish i had the know how and skills to do that... major props damien!!! ;D 8)
4x4_MMMH_4x4 Wrote:youngs hasent been earning many kudos with me lately... pretty terrible prices, if people want there stuff bought locally they should think about competition, i can get much better prices on stuff even after shipping for my truck... performance shop is good if your a regular buyer, he does have ALOT of stuff in stock... if you have friends that work for places, that seems to help a lot, the stupid mentality goes down... NXC!!! got to throw some props damiens way, hes really got a nice business going for him... i wish i had the know how and skills to do that... major props damien!!! ;D 8)

Another thumbs down for Youngs. Scheisters.
I didn't have any problems with Youngs, I had new u-bolts made(turned out great) and two brand new driveshafts made as well. The rear was considerably cheaper than High Angle's 1350 shaft even before shipping, the front was great as well, had them to me in less than two days...went in on a Wednesday afternoon, gave them specs and picked them up first thing Friday morning.

Same thing with the Performance Shop, I've heard alot of bad dealings with the guy...but he has saved me time and money both times I've bought lifts and parts from him, I don't know maybe I've been lucky to catch both places on good days? my 2 pennies
;D

NXC - Two thumbs up.
Young's gear was the very first shop I ever got burned at. Those idiots can't sell me the right part to save their lives.

At least they took the darn parts back, but I was driving around on an unbalanced front drive shaft and without a rear for a while.
Sears does really good work up to 35" tire sizes....but of course I need to plug it before I leave. Side note: we can special order Super Swampers, if you talk to the right person(me). Wink
Only place I've really dealt with is College Collison.

Not happy at all. They have had my truck for 3wks for 4 days worth of work. They blamed dodge for not getting a part number. Supposedly was just waiting on one part, all other work was done. Called my insurance and they went down there. Found out they hadn't done hardly any work on it. It was supposed to go to American tire to get the wheels replaced and tires balanced and aligned. Hadn't made it there as of last week. Just getting really pissed off.

Probably will not ever go back to them again.

I've talked to the performance shop guy a few times and he seemed cool. Only thing is he didn't seem all too knowledgeable about the products he sold. Haven't bought anything from him.
BAD

College Collision
Young’s
Genes
Cheaz
Ever Napa but North Pole
ARMA coatings (out of business now)
Gary @ Philips field Auto ( tranny guy)
C&R Pipe
The performance shop
Ken’s alignment
DMV
My USPS lady

GOOD

Alaska Rubber and rigging
Danali Fasteners
US Bearings
North Pole Napa
Dave @ Totem two
Alaska Steel
Rizzo @ American tire
Arctic tire
Air liquid
My UPS guy
the ones I like are;
airgas- those guys are the bomb, very knowladgeable and helpfull.
youngs- have hooked me up a number of times, know there stuff.
Greer- Carlin is an awsome person to deal with, she ALWAYS hooks me up.
Napa gaffney- I am biased on this one though 'cuase i have dealt with 'em for eight years.
Denali fastener- biased on this one too, friends with a guy there.
six roblees- good guys and biased here also, dealt with 'em for many years.

there are bad apples in everything. you will ALWAYS run into people having bad days. I know i have had a few :oops: hopefully noone judges me on my bad days...
the ones I listed are the ones i always deal with and like Smile
Wink
The bad ones I posted are only the ones I have had 3 or more bad run ins with.
Stanley Nissan-Con artists
Kens Fairbanks Alignment-Con artist. Charged me 8 hours labor for a 2 hour job.
Performance Shop-Dont like. Charges more if you use plastic even a debit card. Blahh
FedEx-Almost missed a Christmas present because thier delivery guy who ran from Anchorage to here quit. For 3 weeks they did not run packages up here. (this was last year but still irks me)
Calmini-those pukes well ask Mousee. I do not want to get mad again.
JCWhitney-Idiots did not send my steering stabalizer brackets with my stabalizer. Told me 4 weeks ago they would have it to me in a week to a week and a half. Called them a couple days ago now they want me to send everything back (At my expense) so they can ship me out everything again. Pure genius. So now I have to fab up some brackets and call their customer service and (female dog) and complain.
Damn now I am mad again...Thanks....More later.
Genes Chrsyler-- Where do I start? Not Jeep related, but one of the guys who "built" (not to name names) the house I bought and wont stick by the legal warranty. Says "take him to court... thats what he has lawyers for". >Sad
the_ronster Wrote:Genes Chrsyler--  Where do I start?  Not Jeep related, but one of the guys who "built" (not to name names) the house I bought and wont stick by the legal warranty.  Says "take him to court... thats what he has lawyers for". >Sad

Gene's Chrysler -

I'd have to say horrible service.....

Hard to deal with... no willing to work with you. I bought my srt-4 from them... and then 3 months later I want to trade my car in on a truck. Refused to give me anything over their original offer. (WELL and I mean WELL below blue book).. then when I get my NEW truck. The power windows are already weak and going ULTRA slow.. So now in the cold they sometimes don't even move at all. (cold as is anything 20 or lower) If I take it in to them they will say it's because of the cold.. so I'm probably gonna wait until summer. Smile
How old is the house?  All new homes have a one year warrenty on them, it wouldn't happen to be Liberty Homes would it?  Oh yeah no names!!
Nope, not a Liberty, I did do some research on them before I moved back. I bought a townhome just off the Mitchell, its brandnew, he just does not want to cover it....
Yep he doesn't have a choice, it's law. Talk to the BBB or similar, you could take him to court as well but I bet there are easier ways(cheaper!) to do it vs shelling out money for a lawyer and such.
Oh, you wanna talk about companies not to do business with. How about AAFES? Is it just me or are they jacking their prices again. We haven't even gotten our pay raises yet! They are scum! >Sad
I'd sure like to speak my piece here, but I dunno. I hate to talk smack about others unless someone specificly asks me about them.

Like Damien said, everyone has their days, and it's a lot easier to dwell on those then the positive ones. I will say, however, that I cannot disagree with anything anyone has said to this point, and I've delt with them all.

But I'm glad I made someone's good list!!
Kelly should be up there in the good guy list.
Definately, big cudoos to Kelly!
Here is my quick list (keep in mind, I have only been in and out of Fbx for about 7-8 years now)

BAD
Genes
Schucks
Carquest
Six Roblees

GOOD
Power and Transmission
Aurora motors (WAAAY overpriced, but when you need that oddball chevy part in a pinch.....)
Fbx Radiator
C and R Pipe
Fairbanks Electric Motor and Bearing (or something like that)

Mixed reviews
Youngs
Napa (any of them)
The Performance Shop
Northern Power Sports (not offroading especially, but it is that time of the year)
Auto Service Co. Toyota sucks, can't even remember all the bad experiences my family has gone through with them. My family drives mostly toyota vehicles, thinking of buying the next one from Nye in anchorage ;D