Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Lift
Question, I had a hard time today deciding on to get a 48" or 60" High Lift. I picked up the 60" since it was the same price as the 48" at Sportsman Warehouse for $52.99. My question is, how good is a 48" good for? I liked the more compact size, but was afraid it wouldnt quite be enough after a good 5 or 6" lift and 35's. That's why I went ahead with the 60". Thoughts?
GO big or stay home! Right?! 60 inch should be plenty.
all I can say is that there have way too many times where I have maxed out the 48 and that extra foot would just be SOOOOOO nice....

but so would a winch, so take the hilift back, and then go order the biggest winch you can find Smile
HaHa... well the winch is getting slapped on there in NC.. just cant justify spending that type of money right now just weeks away from moving....
Well dont feel to bad I still need to buy both.
I have the 48” and have never needed more then that. This is why. You need to keep a small length of chain wit a hook on one end in your rig. When you need to use you jack, throw the chain around the frame and the axle and hook it up. This will keep you from having to jack though your suspension, running to the end of the jack and will keep the rig much more stable while it’s jacked up. Heck I just don’t know where to keep a 60” Hi-lift in a Jeep.
holeski Wrote:I have the 48” and have never needed more then that. This is why. You need to keep a small length of chain wit a hook on one end in your rig. When you need to use you jack, throw the chain around the frame and the axle and hook it up. This will keep you from having to jack though your suspension, running to the end of the jack and will keep the rig much more stable while it’s jacked up. Heck I just don’t know where to keep a 60” Hi-lift in a Jeep.

I'm hoping it will fit on the swing away your making for me. If it will not hold the 60", please let me know, so I can swap it out with a 48". Thanks man.
No we will make it fit. :Smile It will be more up and down or at an angle then across if that sounds cool to you. I just like to keep mine inside the cab.
Yeah, thats no problem... up and down sounds good to me... I was only planning on adding some security features to the rack later on as well... and only carry the jack around when i needed it, off road, etc... to keep the jack in good condition and free from rust... i really didnt want to have to keep it outside either, but you gotta do what you gotta do...

thanks again man, just let me know when you want to get together... any day should be good after 1530...
Just get a small can of WD-40 or the like and keep it with you. Those things alway seem to look up at the worst times.
I'd get the 60" one, you never know who else you may need to help out with it, and while they may be unweildy, there are plenty of products out that allow you to mount it anywhere on a Jeep. Snowman has a hood mount, there are roof rack mounts, rear tire carrier mounts, front fender like Crazy4ink's shovel, etc.
TJVigilante Wrote:I'd get the 60" one, you never know who else you may need to help out with it, and while they may be unweildy, there are plenty of products out that allow you to mount it anywhere on a Jeep. Snowman has a hood mount, there are roof rack mounts, rear tire carrier mounts, front fender like Crazy4ink's shovel, etc.

Yeah, but the 48" fits perfectly to the roll cage and it only takes a few minutes to mount right in front of the tail gate inside the Jeep.
Problem with a 60" hi-lift is that you can't mount it anywhere side to side since that hi-lift would be wider than the Jeep itself and would stick out each side
holeski Wrote:I have the 48” and have never needed more then that. This is why. You need to keep a small length of chain wit a hook on one end in your rig. When you need to use you jack, throw the chain around the frame and the axle and hook it up. This will keep you from having to jack though your suspension, running to the end of the jack and will keep the rig much more stable while it’s jacked up. Heck I just don’t know where to keep a 60” Hi-lift in a Jeep.

That is good until you shear a spring pin! I was very glad to have the 60 and almost maxed it out after doing that exact thing - shearing a spring pin.

With mounting not a problem on the swing away - go 60!
Thats what I bought, the 60... just after I bought it and started really looking at it (and loading it in the back of my Jeep, and how it came up into the front seats) started thinking about just how darn big that thing really is.. thats what got me thinking i might swap out with the 48... still have the receipt, figured it wouldnt be much of a big deal... but as long as i can store it somewhere, i'm happy... i usually always go by better for too much than not enough attitude anyways... thanks for all the help everyone as always...

and Holeski, thanks for accomodating my needs...
Could always cut a bit off the end to fit where you need to put it. Make it 55" or whatever.