Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vertically challenged New Guy
Hey boys and girls. Just joined and wanted to say HI! We, my wife, 11 yr son, and I, are in Louisiana and coming to your parts next summer via my stock '03 Ruby (vertically challenged part). Gotta winch on the front and a cool home built offroad trailer and we are coming up the alcan next June-July. We should arrive by the end of the first week of July. We'll be looking to wet a hook in some fishing holes. Care to share your secret nook in the river?
Looking forward to meeting you.  If you have any questions about Alaska, fishing, or anything else feel free to ask.
Make a planned stop at Liard River Hot springs. Great little spot on the Alcan. Watch going through Edmonton - crazy city with very few road signs - normally you see them as you pass your intended exit! Be safe, come quick - we'll be loosing daylight by the time you're here (though just barely!)
Big 'ole thanks, ChevyKev, on the Liard River Hot Springs and gettin lost in Edmonton....And as for the quick part....well I will be driving a Jeep...quick ain't in the cards. Big Grin

Buckeye...I WILL take you up on the offer. I suspect I'll find a place or two on the way to hook up my laptop. Maybe I'll be able to pick your brain about some fishing holes, some places to stretch my suspension, and pitch my tent.
professor Wrote:Big 'ole thanks, ChevyKev, on the Liard River Hot Springs and gettin lost in Edmonton....And as for the quick part....well I will be driving a Jeep...quick ain't in the cards. Big Grin

Buckeye...I WILL take you up on the offer. I suspect I'll find a place or two on the way to hook up my laptop. Maybe I'll be able to pick your brain about some fishing holes, some places to stretch my suspension, and pitch my tent.

Any future plans for the rubi? You a wheeler or a fisher guy only? Smile
Way more plans than I have $! This is my 3rd of 5 jeeps. Had a 97 and 01 TJs then came the Ruby and since then I have bought a 51 M38 and a 46 CJ 2. I am so jeep poor. On the Ruby I've added a few bits on the edges, like the trail guide gps, kc lites, warn 8.5 winch, CB, other odds and ends, and some new meats. But the real mods will be the lift and custom paint which will have to wait till after my trip. Full traction, Rubicon Express, and Nth Degree are all possibilities after I've saved some $ when we get back. My club, bayoujeepers, is a gang of fun folks that hit a few places around like Superlift's park in Hot Springs Ark. I looking to visit Moab on the way up and the Rubicon on the way back. Yeah I wheel....as my ugly side will atest.....If its under my jeep its bent......at least I've not rolled this one yet.....

The best of all possible worlds is to wheel on the way to a great fishing hole and dinner on the grill come nightfall.
professor Wrote:Way more plans than I have $! This is my 3rd of 5 jeeps. Had a 97 and 01 TJs then came the Ruby and since then I have bought a 51 M38 and a 46 CJ 2. I am so jeep poor. On the Ruby I've added a few bits on the edges, like the trail guide gps, kc lites, warn 8.5 winch, CB, other odds and ends, and some new meats. But the real mods will be the lift and custom paint which will have to wait till after my trip. Full traction, Rubicon Express, and Nth Degree are all possibilities after I've saved some $ when we get back. My club, bayoujeepers, is a gang of fun folks that hit a few places around like Superlift's park in Hot Springs Ark. I looking to visit Moab on the way up and the Rubicon on the way back. Yeah I wheel....as my ugly side will atest.....If its under my jeep its bent......at least I've not rolled this one yet.....

The best of all possible worlds is to wheel on the way to a great fishing hole and dinner on the grill come nightfall.

One of our vendors (up here) is a rubicon express dealer.. He does some great work too Smile
Good to know....maybe I'll come back a little less vertically challenged ;D
Pics of my rig are here...if your willing to wade through the trailer build pics the last couple of three might be interesting....

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictur...4286137917
Looking forward to another wheeler up here! I can't say much myself I haven't been out myself because of T/C problems but I did go out on a couple recoveries. Have a safe trip and drive safe!
Nice, I'm taking the ferry (I'm traveling with kids and have seen the roads in Canada) and should beat you by only a few weeks. I'm anticipating a 23rd of June arrival.

I'm hoping to replace the crappy lift kit I have and get some 33's under the ZJ while I'm there.
I was just going to ask for some pics of the trailer. I'm SLOWLY building one of my own. Are you military?
sevenslats Wrote:I was just going to ask for some pics of the trailer.  I'm SLOWLY building one of my own.  Are you military?

Take your time....mine took two years and the most expensive parts were the wheels and tires. Not military...just warping young minds in a small college lost in the old south. If you want specs and have access to AutoCad, I can send some drawings.

Airmanwoody: You will beat us by about two weeks....keep in touch. None of us have seen the great white north and my son really wants to hit Jellystone. So we drive...and drive...and drive...
Let me know when it gets closer, I've been fly fishing this state for six years and know a spot or two...for salmon or trout.
AK20 Wrote:Let me know when it gets closer, I've been fly fishing this state for six years and know a spot or two...for salmon or trout.

Your on............thanks! ;D
I've got the wheels and tires already. And the axle. And the trailer I'm converting from. I just need to get it all put together. Any idea what your weighs? Mine's stamped steel. One of those harbor freight ones.
Mine weighs about 600lb empty. I used .250 2" square tube for the frame and 18 guage for the box and top. The top is so heavy I have gas springs to lift the thing. The box and fenders are framed with 1" 16 guage square tube and the inside is lined with cedar. I made the hinges out of 1/2" pipe and 1/2" cold role steel threaded top and bottom. The box size is about 3' by 5'.

I am no engineer but all this is probably to heavy for the Harbor Freight frame. You might consider a treated wooden box.
I guess!
I'm hoping to come in under 500 lbs. What do you carry in there? Just off road gear, or something realy heavy?
sevenslats Wrote:I guess!
I'm hoping to come in under 500 lbs.  What do you carry in there?  Just off road gear, or something realy heavy?

It is stout enough to carry whatever will fit in it, but I will be bringing a couple of big coolers to AK for all the camping out we will be doing and all that camp gear as well. I suspect the thing will be packed with all that and spare parts and lots of girl stuff....