Poll: What should I buy to ride to your town
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
BFG MUD TERRAIN
38.89%
7 38.89%
BFG ALL TERRAIN
44.44%
8 44.44%
GOODYEAR MTR (STOCK)
16.67%
3 16.67%
SOMETHING ELSE
0%
0 0%
SELL THE RUBY AND BUY A BOAT
0%
0 0%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Professor needs some New Meats for the Great White North
My stock MTRs are about shot at 25K and I am looking to get some new ones. The trip from here to there and back is about 10K. What would you recommend given lots of highway miles, lots of alcan miles, and a few trail miles at Moab, Rubicon, and whatever trouble I can get into in AK.

thanks
It's a tossup between the AT and an MT siped. My AT's do very well in shallow snow, if you're going to stay on the road until you get to Fairbanks then it'll do fine. The MT's do much better in deeper snow.
He is coming up in the summer....The BFG All Terrains or another new set of MTR's would be my vote.
running trxus m/t's and love em ;D
Well then, I say BFG AT's because you're doing mostly highway, and they'll go as far as your Jeep will go.
Thanks a whole bunch guys for the very good advise..... Big Grin
BOGGERS AND 60'S!
Kodiak Dodge Wrote:BOGGERS AND 60'S!

In my dreams .... in my dreams ..... 8)
So----- are you going with new MTRs or BFGs
gp Wrote:So----- are you going with new MTRs or BFGs
I've tried the stock MTRs. So based on the poll, I'll try the BFGs this time. With the priviso that when I get back from Alaska I'll start to sock away the bucks for the lift and the 35s. Once that happens Iroks start to look mighty sweet. Myabe D-60s or rockwells....all it takes is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I would say the BFG M/Ts. The A/Ts will suck balls on the trail. The M/T last about the same on the road.
nate379 Wrote:I would say the BFG M/Ts.  The A/Ts will suck balls on the trail.  The M/T last about the same on the road.

say what? My AT's carried me up 55 mile being the only stock rig to make it, following the biggest and baddest rigs in this club.

[Image: group2.JPG]
It's not the tires, it's the driver.
say what ya will, but my trxus m/t are as good as BFG's and cost a lot less. I know I've run both A/T and M/T BFG's, great tires but pricy
31" AT prices have dropped alot since Bridgestone's AT Revos were released. I can get them for 120 each, I'm sure he could snag some for under 100 in the lower 48.
Yeah the ATs can be picked up for quite a bit less than the MTs and some say the ATs are better at Moab. I don't know but ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances......after all TJVigilante is right...Its all in the wrist ;D
I've had several sets of BFG A/T's and the last two went over 60K before I replaced them and they still had thread, but it was down to the wear bars.

The run great on the rocks here. For an A/T that handles pretty decent on snow, (I'm originally from Minnesota) with 3-ply sidewalls, you won't find a better A/T. The Trxus M/T's aren't too bad a tire, but I've had really bad luck with M/T's on snow and ice period.

I will hopefully bring a set of M/T's up with me for when I go wheelin', but will probably use my A/T's for the road and winter.
haven't had a problem yet... just hit the gas and go. Any amount of slippage is done in less than the 1st foot of travel, and usually just cause I have a heavy foot Big Grin BFG used to be my only choice, now it's my second, they're a great tire.
Looks like the AT and MTs are running neck and neck.............. ;D ;D ;D
I gotsta jump in on the TrXus MT topic. I will buy, recommend, and run these tires everyday. They're hands down, the best tire I've had on a double-duty (DD and Trail) rig. They do awesome in the snow because of the factory siping.
But I don't think they're best for your trip. I voted for BFG AT.
Stupid web board.  I just wrote like a page on this and it did an error and erased my post.  Grrrrr!

Ok... what I wrote... cliff notes version.  ;D

The A/Ts are ok on the street and dirt roads, rocks, etc.  Get in a muddy trail with them and you don't stand a chance.  They just pack up.

The M/Ts IMO are the best compromise between a road and trail tire.  Shoot I run them on my tow rig even. I have about 10,000 miles on them and they are about 95% tread. Not bad for a 7000lb truck with a Detroit in the rear.  The only downside about the M/Ts is they are not good on ice, were A/Ts are alot better.  Siping the M/Ts would help I bet.

The MTRs are not a whole lot better than the A/Ts in the mud.  I'd run those before an A/T, but not my first choice.  Also very expensive.  My BFG M/Ts were $225 a tire, the MTRs would have been $295 a tire.

The Truxus M/Ts are a good tire on ice and in the mud, though they are a bit softer so they wear faster on the road.  They are not too expensive though.

Best choice IMO are Swampers for trails, though I wouldn't run them on the roads too much.
Where would a person get the TRXUS M/Ts at? American Tire?
American tire would indeed be the best source for any Super Swamper tire in Fairbanks.

I still have to disagree with the contention by nate that the AT's suck in mud, I did very well with mine in a couple thick muddy spots, open differentials.
I'm gonna have to do some price comparing. I like the BFG A/Ts but the biggest I can get for a 16.5 inch rim is a 35" tire. The TRXUS offer larger sizes for the 16.5 rim. Some 37s are mighty tempting if the price is right.
Just a quick side bar. I can get my size of MTR w/ less than a 1000 miles for $110, new for about $145; BFG ATs for about $120, and MTs for about $150. I'm not sure about the $$$ on the TRXUS. Given the length and and cost of the over all trip the prices are just about too close to matter, except of course, for the used MTRs. Friend just took them off his Ruby.

I'm starting to lean toward the ATs. Snow and Ice probably won't be much of an issue, so that leaves rocks and mud.
Did I mention I hate mud! Its fun while I'm in this sticky gumbo in Louisiana, but when ya come out you bring most of it with you. I've been stuck with my MTRs on a 10 degree slope in about 3 inches of this clay goo mixture. The Ruby is fab on rocks and climbing except for some clearance issues. BUT it is no mud buggy.

Last time it snowed here in Shreveport.........2001.....got about 2 inches on the ground for about 2 hours....... :o
You should get a smokin deal on the TRXUS! The plant is in Louisiana.
I'll have to check into that.....one of the guys in my jeep club, MudReady, is on the TRXUS side too...