Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nenana ORV Commitment Thread
OK, read, then post your commitment level!

To give a brief summary - Nenana has a plan for it's little community to basically become the racing capital of Alaska. They have several blocks of land that the city owns and wants to designate to diff motor groups - including us. They basically said Wednesday - we have land designated that no one can take away - come build a trail. We'll give you a place to build it, you design it, you build it, work with us.

The meeting Wednesday was with former Lt. Gov Jack Coghill, Judge Paul Verhagen, and Dr. Kenneth Eggleston. These are serious men with a great vision of what they want for their town. They have 53 page feasibility study already done. They have contacted other user groups such as the Fairbanks racing Lions, etc...

The original idea was a mud pit for mud racing, but trails are a start, and maybe even a tough truck challenge course type of thing - several obstacles in a huge (4-6 acre) circle so spectators can watch competitions. They want us to start ASAP. Their thinking - if they get us on board, and other groups that they have contacted can see someone actually doing this and join in quicker. They have planned snow-cross races, boat races, a mile long drag-strip, a paved 180 acre road course, BMX, Motocross, etc... They have land - they want to partner with user groups and work with the user groups to build the facilities/trails. We're in if we want to be. We would start with a trail we can build through a wooded section. Later we can work on clearing land and a challenge course more friendly to competitions and spectator viewing. We could also help with mud pit and mud races.

On our part - it will mostly be sweat equity - time and efforts, maybe some arranging for heavy equipment use to be donated (we have licensed operators in the club!) and maybe some funds as possible. This is a big decision. The officers are all in agreement that this is a huge opportunity in many aspects: It would bring recognition to AO, it would give us some experience we simply don’t have the opportunity to get anywhere else, it could bring 4x4 competitions and thus Peterson’s media back to this area, and it can further pout AO on the map! With this decision is risk - either way we decide could make or break the club. If we dive in too deep and can't get the support - or if we pass this up and miss an opportunity - or if..... this will take some serious commitment from a majority of the members. This is something that can be started immediately yet also developed over many years.

This will take a lot of work, but the rewards will pay off. I can see this will be a benefit to Nenana, to our sport of 4x4'ing, and to our club. But, it will take a lot of work. 5 of us can’t do this. 10 of us would be pressed to accomplish it. 15-20 would be more realistic to getting started. We will need donations of time, tools, equipment, and manpower. I may have access to some heavy equipment. We may be able to work with other companies that do community service an borrow equipment. We will need to layout, design, clear, and build. This will take a lot of work and we cannot commit to doing this if we are not going to have support. We can and will have others (non-members) offer help - and that will be gladly accepted, but to commit up front we need a commitment from our members.

Once we get started we foresee weekend work/camp trips. Leave after work on Friday and go down there, camp out, and work, work, work. IF we had enough for two teams, and everyone could commit one weekend a month, then we’d have people working every other weekend to accomplish this. Several of us can do Sunday night / Monday trips as well. When spring and summer arrive, we will need to be doing the work - so before we offer and then can’t follow through, we need commitments. In or out. You say you’re in, then we will need you down there and working. As well we may need people to get on the phone with companies and solicit donations. There is a lot that can be done.

Who’s in?

Also - what personal equipment do you have to loan?
I'm in.

I have a trailer, chain saw, various hand tools, several pruning shears.
I may be able to borrow from friends a bulldozer, a Bobcat, and possibly a dump truck.
I'm in! I don't now how to run heavy equipment, I don't even know where Nenana is. But, I can work a shovel, I can help cut brush and I can even make sandwiches if that is all I can do. I have a truck and a winch and will travel. Hoo-Rah!
I'm in... I work 4 on 3 off this summer. (12 hour shifts). I dont mind taking a weekend trip.. You can count the wife and I.. .we dont have equipment... but we can do a lot of labor... I can run some equipment as well.. bob cats etc..... ;D

I know I wont see the major benefits of this.. as its not gonna evolve fully without a few years of work....but I'd like to see some of the makings of it and be apart of it.

Count me in.... I'm working a 3 and 1 shift so I should be good for a weekend every month. I have a chain saw, an ATV with a wench and I might be able to get a dump truck and driver to donate a day or two....
I'm in!! I got a 4 wheeler w/ winch, truck that can hual heavy equipment down there, and can get chain saws or what ever else we might need.
Forrest Wrote:I'm in!! I got a 4 wheeler w/ winch, truck that can hual heavy equipment down there, and can get chain saws or what ever else we might need.

Now that you mention it.. I got a 4 wheeler with a winch as well.
BTW - we need to know people's commitment levels by this Wednesday Midnight so we can give the ORV peoples an answer in a timely fashion.
Just a thought here............... If you find the time to go wheeling for a day and haven't put in any time on this project thats just not right!
michaeljr5 Wrote:I'm in!  I don't now how to run heavy equipment, I don't even know where Nenana is.  But, I can work a shovel, I can help cut brush and I can even make sandwiches if that is all I can do.  I have a truck and a winch and will travel.  Hoo-Rah!

Let me know when and where I need to be!
AKCJ8 Wrote:Just a thought here............... If you find the time to go wheeling for a day and haven't put in any time on this project thats just not right!

I am not a member and my truck is going under the knife pretty soon for major upgrades and repairs but I can set aside some time to help out.  In my experience it is always good to get involved with local wheeling projects (look up TMTC in TX or charleau Gap W/ Tucson Rough riders).  Who knows better what a trail area needs then the people who use the trail.  Count me in.  Also, after the first initial work weekend trips could always be set aside with wheeling and working both involved.
I agree will Al. We are gonna have to wheel just to get out there to work. How cool is that? ;D We get to do both at the same time. Hoo-Rah! ;D
When I get up there, I'm in. I'm an old farmboy who worked for a logger for a few months. Skidsteer's, dozers, graders, dump trucks, semi's, loaders, you name it, I've probably used one. Wish I had one to bring up there, but all I've got to give is a fairly small but tough trailer and a strong back and hands.
I'd be more than happy to help.
I can haul stuff down and I have chain saws and when I last checked, I knew how to build a trail.
Some training on sustainable trail construction - been a while so I will have to refresh my brain.

If it has wheels or tracks, I can drive it.

At this point I am not sure what days I can commit to in stone, but I should be able to pull a weekend a month or so.
I can donate a weekend a month for labor. Shovel, Axe, and TNT in hand. Just kidding about the TNT.

To comment on If you find time to wheel and not work there is something wrong...

I disagree. Although MAX participation is needed to make this happen, we still need to wheel. Some people might not want to participate in this. That is fine. Those who do. Great. We are a 4x4 group more than a construction group :laugh: This is strictly volunteer. I do not want to see anyone feel that they have to participate or they are ostrisized.

(off soapbox).
I'm in a couple of weekends a month, maybe more, all I have to offer though is elbow grease.
I've got hand tools I'll gladly use/loan. I've got a 4-wheeler with winch, and a small trailer for the wheeler or Jeep. I will do all the e-leg work I can do from here as far as soliciting donations and such. Someone mail me a yellow pages, and I'll see what companies will donate a backhoe!
ChevyKev Wrote:The meeting Wednesday was with former Lt. Gov Jack Coghill, Judge Paul Verhagen, and Dr. Kenneth Eggleston. These are serious men with a great vision of what they want for their town.
Some of you may recognise the name Coghill. He is infact one of this states founding fathers and one of the 55 original signers of the state of Alaska's constitution. I think Kevin will agree with me in that it felt like I was sitting at the table with Alaska royalty...
You know I’m in. I have worked with DNR, Forestry and BLM in Washington on building and maintaining trails for ORV use and both Heather and myself are Master tread trainers for Tread Lightly. I have my trail trailer, chainsaws, handsaws and other tools.

Although this is an outstanding opportunity I feel that if we commit (member and non-members) to this that they should also proved us with the agreement for trail use in writing. The proposal that is written now is not written for recreational use but for competition. Also the area available to us now may be developed into something else later and if so into what, we need to keep that in mind. Also is it going to be multi-use? If so we need to contact some of the ATV and dirtbike guys and get them onboard.
As much as I would love to go out there and start cutting a trail we need to remember that as it warms up the trail we cut now may not be easily maintainable later. These are a few of my thoughts and what ever you decided I will be there to offer my insight and help, but the best way to lay the trail out is to walk it now, flag it and then walk it in the summer and re-flag it. I would cut the access road in and clear the staging area first. Set a camp area up that we can work from, build a gate, but save the trail building until we are sure of the ground.
Mmmm. Campin trip!

Eric brings up some very important points, as usual. Multi--use, and recreaqtional use. Will this place be gated?
sevenslats Wrote:Will this place be gated?
I asked that question specificly. That is the plan controled access.
I am in. The way my work goes I should be able to do 1-2 weekends, and even the sun-mon thng every now and then. I even have weekdays sometimes. Idon't have mucha s far as equipment. I have a big truck for huling. I might have some people that can loan some equipment such as loader, dozer, bobcat and such, but not for sure. I sure will ask and see though.
Yes, it will be gated.
Most likely it would be multi-use, but I don't know exactly.  If we build the obstacles hard enough, no dirt bike will want to go over it!   ;D

In the meeting Wednesday the wording was "Let's form a tentative partnership"  

A partnership benefits both sides.  

As we can commit, then we can get into specifically how this will be beneficial to us - and ask for such things as keys to the gate.  But before we proceed with making official arrangements, we need see if we have commitment needed to accomplish this before we proceed debating small details.  

The way it was communicated it seemed like if we built it we would have access.  I honestly don't see accessibility a problem - and when we establish more than a "tentative partnership" we will have these things lined out.

Right - who can commit is the question at hand.
IMO, gated is a good thing.
I am in.

I have some time, a massive 4 wheeler with winch, axe, brush saws, welder, weed eater, landscaping and trail design knowledge, etc.
I also have a buddy that is trying to get more into wheeling. He has some probs with his vehicle he fixing now. I mentioned this and the club to him. He is interested in both. So hopefully he will join us soon and he is willing to help out.