Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
just a thought
i was wondering, the trucks that they use at the airport, you know, the ones with the really short wheelbase, fullsize yet tiny, no bed but room for tools and gear... those ones...

do the airlines build them like that? or are they fitted like that at the factory, through fleet?

what do they do when they are done with them? auction perhaps? and how do i find out? i have been...:google: ing

but to no avail(sp?)...
google air force fltt (flight line tow tractor).

You could always order one with one of these NSN: 1740-01-452-4117YW Big Grin
or just google bobtail, ford/dodge both make one
The old Chevy ones could fit 44's. Had 2.5 ton axles and 4 wheel steer.

Not to mention the 7.56 in the diffs and a maximum speed of 15 mph with all three gears of the turbo 400.

I saw one linked with coilovers (the stock suspension is pretty much bricks so no flex) that was sick. Guy picked it up at a government auction for $200, put a $400 motor in it put about $2200 into the suspension, put on the 44's and has been running it for almost ten years. He lives about an hour north of where I'm at right now.
DRMO got rid of two Dodge tug rigs about a year ago with cummins motors but they were only 2wd
yeah, this is closer to it

[Image: TV550.jpg]
Here's a pic of the Chevy Variant.
[Image: tug.jpg]
The guy up north of here took the front bumper off and shaved the tail to fit the tires, then went to the suspension.

I'll try to find one of his pics.
I think the chevy tugs may have been locked into 4 lo, thus the 15mph top speed. Those trucks are awesome and would be perfect for a trail only build. Heck some good michelin X series tires would fit on those rims too...
yeah mark if you do find those pics i'd love to see them.

i've just been brain storming...
the Ford is a bobtail, exactly what we used in the ammo career field. The old Jeep versions were the absolute slowest rigs ever. Had 4 cyl diesels in em and plenty of gusto.
Hey, get out of my head! I have those same ideas every time I get on a plane and see one of those on the ground.

I think E.A. Patson down in Anchorage has one for sale. They had one with a 80's Ford truck cab on that short frame with OD green paint. Don't know for certain, it's been a while.
haha, thats exactly what happened, i was flying south for the holidays, and i saw this dude tooling around in one, and i was thinking about how much cooler that dudes job was than mine, then it hit me, "that might make a good trail rig" all you would need to do is custom suspension, driveline adjustments, and bumpers/winch. everything is already done. big cab space, but still short frame. heavy but manueverable. small truck but plenty of room for gear.
i knew i wasn't the first person to think of it
i have worked on the Ford ones they are heavy!!!!! i am talking 1/2inch plate bed and bumpers you can make them go faster then 35mph if you remove the govener one wire on the tranny harness not dificult at all but they are only 2wd but would not be hard to convert
I know they are geared pretty low, the wife drives them from time to time, when she can't get one of her airmen to drive them. Or find one that is still allowed to drive them. Too many wrecking at 25mph! Would be cool to get, but take a fair bit of work to make them trail useable.
My musings through the airplane window usually entail stripping all the heavy airport gear off and swapping in a 4x4 driveline with link suspension on coilovers. You'd end up extending the wheelbase by quite a bit but I imagine it would be necessary if you were to add the length of a transfer case behind the trans and still wanted something like a rear driveshaft. I think it would be easier to extend the wheelbase on one of these and keep pretty much everyhting else in its original location than it would be to shorten something longer.

http://www.eagletugs.com/products/produc...l_Aviation

There was one on Craiglist in Seattle for $3000 but the post is old and expired.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Ford...rtsQ5fGear

We know anyone in PA? $500 for a good running truck with onboard air already set-up...
Thats a ways away from me but I think it is fairly close to george if someone wanted it I am sure we could figure something out
Not me, thaat's for sure. Right now between getting ready for a still uncertain career change, knocking out some classes, and a baby, I can't even find time to get my oil changed, let alone get into another project.
...and the potential this thing has...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Aviation...240%3A1318
drag up an old thread:

Here you go

this is an unknown year coleman aircraft mover it has a herculys 600ci inline six runs and drives it has 4 wheel steering 4 wheel drive very large axles bigger than rockwell good year earth mover tire unknown size but id say probly 60" all of them hold air i dont know alot about it i bought it for a hunting rig but never got around to working on it. call or email my phone #907-687-7155 all offers welcome $3500 obo

[Image: 4a88d34e8c07c66d5b69d6383.jpg]

[Image: 4a88d34e906c8e8d11ebe9907.jpg]

[Image: 4a88d34e92a0fa2fc9039f015.jpg]
my friend danny has like 2 or 3 of those on his property that was left on it. and he has a duce and a half he is doing some stuff to to make recovery vehical. i can talk to him he might sell one if someone would want one. ill take pics next time i go out there and post up so yall can see what he has. it looks like the yellow ones that are posted on here
You can't use that for a hunting rig. It says right on it, "For Official Use Only"!
Oh, and if that reg number on the door is original, it means it was manufactured in 1950.
sevenslats Wrote:You can't use that for a hunting rig. It says right on it, "For Official Use Only"!

Yeah, he'll be OFFICIALLY hunting! :razz:
That thing must weigh many a ton...