Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 JK Unlimited in my garage... need purchase advice quick!

In my garage right now!!!

Came o so close to saying yes to a purchase tonight. Have it (JK) overnight and am mulling the whole deal. Will tell them yes or no tomorrow, and then they run the deal by lenders. Tried to get Michelle to give me a good enough reason why I shouldn't, and have stared at the drafted deal so much my head hurts... trying to make sure I'm not missing anything. Basically, my being upside down on my Dodge, made the process harder. Here's what we have worked out:

Jeep Final Sticker: $30,900.
Dealer incentives bring Jeep sticker down to $26k.
My trucks value (retail): $26k
My truck's trade in value: $22k
What I owe on said truck $29k

With figuring my upside-down in, I can get the Jeep for $31,900. Basically it ate up the incentives totally, but also made it where I don't have to pay any tax on the Jeep.

Kicker is $535/mo and $2000 down. Right now with the truck I pay $670/mo, and last payment is Jun 2013. Jeep would save my $140/mo but add on 19 months past what I would have paid on the truck. Still seems like alot for a Jeep X, but the Rubis are stickering for $36k here.

This X-model has the HD Dana 44 rear axle already under it. Electric locker, electric swaybar disconnect up front, 3.73 gearing, Sirius radio, all power stuff, 17" wheels, 3-piece hardtop, towing group and more.

Let me know what you think about it all. I need other's opinions to make sure I'm not seeing something important, but need them quick. Thanks in advance!

Pay them right you can get that price dropped some more
Don't do it without the Rubi. You'll kick yourself for it.

But, what color is it?
I'd be tempted to keep the Dodge and find a cheap Jeep to play with.

Just my thoughts, and with the economy in the dump, I'm sure if you search hard enough, you will find a cheap one that will probably fit the bill nicely.

It's the Rock Red color... similar to our old TJ.

Could maybe swing more down on it, but also don't wanna deplete the checking account right after a PCS move.

Could go with an old TJ or cheap Jeep, but the width and wheelbase of the JK Unlimited have me biased now. Plus, quadcab for JK keeps me in the comfortable 4 doors. Yes, the economy blows! With this one already having the locked D44 under the rear, that's less money and swapping I'd have to do later. (Jeep raised the over-the-counter Rubi axles now that they saw alot of demand for them... Bastards!).

Thanks for the opinions... keep em coming!

Save your money. Pay down the truck.

Buy a buggy if you need to calm the wheelin urges.

You know they got you to take it home on purpose? :poke:
With the market the way it is, 31k on a non-rubicon is a ripoff. The incentives aren't enough either. I'd keep the truck and get an older cheap vehicle to wheel, or a buggy as Geoff mentioned.
Still awaiting the final call tomorrow after they contact the bank, but it's assumed to be mine. Emptied the truck and they prepped the JK for me.

I still say don't do it.

It's painful to wheel and break a vehicle you still owe money on.
Try to sell your truck on your own insted of trading it in you will make more money and it won't hurt as much
yeah but that takes time, and he needs a decision now
Put your truck on the dealers lot on consignment and if it does not sell
By the time your next payment is due make them take It in on trade for the already agreed amount for trade most dealers will alow you to do that if not I would not deal with them if they will not try and help you get the most out of your vehicle it is in there best intrest to help you after all the car sales business is not so hot right now I have bought 5 new cars in the last 6 years and have only traded in one the rest I have sold my self or put on the dealers lot most of the time you have 45 days befor your first payment is due and the dealer will give you a promiseary note untill you sell your other vehicle seeing how it is a buyers market if they want to move there vehicles they will make you a good deal take your time YOU CAN GET A BETTER DEAL just my two cents
I got my Rubi for $31,500.... The market is in YOUR favor.
Justinpact has the right idea though.
I'd walk away and tell them when they are willing to deal to call you.
Diesel's will come back, and yours is very desirable, not the new SMOG crap ones.
Just a thought, Dave Smith agreed to meet the AAFES price on a Rubi...
I test drove a manual, with the 3.8, it blew, NO LOW END, Don't buy one!!!
I love our JK with the auto, and would buy it again.

Good luck Brother!!!!
Mike
Keep the truck and buy a Samurai to put in the back for wheeling!!
SamuraiMike Wrote:I got my Rubi for $31,500.... The market is in YOUR favor.
Justinpact has the right idea though.
I'd walk away and tell them when they are willing to deal to call you.
Diesel's will come back, and yours is very desirable, not the new SMOG crap ones.
Just a thought, Dave Smith agreed to meet the AAFES price on a Rubi...
I test drove a manual, with the 3.8, it blew, NO LOW END, Don't buy one!!!
I love our JK with the auto, and would buy it again.

Good luck Brother!!!!
Mike

you would really perfer a auto? When I was in the market I was going to get the manual.
Actually the general consensus is that because of the bailout, the auto manufacturers don't need the customers' money too badly anymore, and they're back to business as usual. Kinda ridiculous but that's what I've been hearing.
JeepMadness1979 Wrote:you would really perfer a auto? When I was in the market I was going to get the manual.

Notice he said that the 3.8 had no low end with the manual. A stick would work, but you'd have to keep the revs up.
AKMark Wrote:Notice he said that the 3.8 had no low end with the manual. A stick would work, but you'd have to keep the revs up.

The 3.8 deffinatly doesnt have the torque like the 4.0 had. but i would take the 3.8 with a manual before another generation of the 4.0

2c
AKMark Wrote:I'd be tempted to keep the Dodge and find a cheap Jeep to play with.

Just my thoughts, and with the economy in the dump, I'm sure if you search hard enough, you will find a cheap one that will probably fit the bill nicely.

X's infinity
oooh.
Red Rock Red is pretty sweet.
JK on 37s, getting groceries and cruising through the Desert sand? Perfect.
Well.... Come on Gary, the suspense is killing me!!! LOL
I have the redrock paint too, it looks good. Cool

And yes, I would NOT purchase a 3.8 JK with a manual tranny.
It doesn't drive like a Jeep... Even in low range, you've got to rev it in first gear to get moving on level ground...
Absolutely anemic in the lower RPMs.
I guess you could get used to it, but it would be embarrassing getting there...
The auto is very well matched to the engine output, great combo.

Now, if Big daddy pulls their head out & puts the 4.7 or 5.7 V8 in the 4 door, THAT would be THE machine!!!! AEV already does it...

Ok, enough ranting.... What's the verdict??????? :eek:
I think a 4bt cummings would be the motor of my choosing Big Grin

SamuraiMike Wrote:Well.... Come on Gary, the suspense is killing me!!! LOL
I have the redrock paint too, it looks good. Cool

And yes, I would NOT purchase a 3.8 JK with a manual tranny.
It doesn't drive like a Jeep... Even in low range, you've got to rev it in first gear to get moving on level ground...
Absolutely anemic in the lower RPMs.
I guess you could get used to it, but it would be embarrassing getting there...
The auto is very well matched to the engine output, great combo.

Now, if Big daddy pulls their head out & puts the 4.7 or 5.7 V8 in the 4 door, THAT would be THE machine!!!! AEV already does it...

Ok, enough ranting.... What's the verdict??????? :eek:
Update: I had to do it... Looks like most here disagree, but I had to. I'll get so much more out of the JK than the Ram. Being upside down on it, even selling it out-right would have not gotten me far. All I lost out on was all of the incentives that the stealership was offering and paid sticker. Yes, the sticker is higher here than in other places. Oh well.

Pics coming soon... have to create yet another CarDomain site to host them.