Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
98 TJ Upgrades
I'm helping a friend get her jeep ready to run off-road. We are looking at lift kits for it and was just wondering a few things. If she got a 3" lift would that fit 33" tires? What brands would you recommend? What hole pattern do these come with stock: 5 on ? How wide are the stock rims and would the stock rims hold 33" tires?

Thanks for the help!
Yes, some 3" lifts will fit 33" tires (I actually don't know of one that doesn't but I am sure there is). Rubicon Express is a great 3.5" lift for entry level wheeling. Stock hole pattern is 5 on 4.5" on the wheels. Different wheels have different widths so you need to be a little more specific on which wheels. Making the assumption the Jeep didn't get the 30" tire group then it probably has the 15x7" wheel with 5.25" of backspacing. I would look at replacing those wheels with somerthing for 33's but you can run the 33x10.50 on it if you are set on it. rubbing will be an issue but you can solve that with either wheel spacers or shimming your steering stops. If you want to run 33x12.50's then you should probably replace them.
Mousee sales rubicon express goodies.. I'd contact him Wink
I'll say something that Al told me a while ago: for 3" of lift on a TJ go for Rubicon Express's budget boost and a 1" body lift. These mods are compatible with future lift kits up to the point of coilovers, and the body lift allows for a belly-up skidplate. That and 2" of suspension lift doesn't require an SYE just yet.
hey, I was just answering what was asked.

[Image: ba2eda1a.jpg]
[Image: NiagaraFalls068.jpg]

It is amazing how much you can do with 32" tires.:allrighty: :allrighty: :allrighty:
[Image: 22bcdc3b.jpg]
BB flexed out.......ok, not really.
[Image: bf7962a4.jpg]
Found a good priced 2" puck lift with shock relocation brackets on ebay for under $100, but I think I'll go for an air tank first and look for the same kind of deal later on. No bumpstop extensions, can use my current shocks, pretty good deal.

Someone bought it within the last hour or so, but here it is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...Q%3AUS%3A1
you should get at least rear bumpstop extensions to keep the springs from over compressing. With no front bumpstop extensions don't run more then a 31x10.50 or you will kill your fenders, or 32x11.50 with a 1" bodylift.
I have a 2" budget boost sitting in my garage that I debnated using for a log COG build.
intend on selling it? I'm verrrrrry tempted if you are.

I just figured that the added 2" would help the tires fit into the fenders a little more instead of rubbing on the piece that hangs down. Either way I rub, and it's really showing on the inside tread of my tires.
TJVigilante Wrote:intend on selling it? I'm verrrrrry tempted if you are.

I just figured that the added 2" would help the tires fit into the fenders a little more instead of rubbing on the piece that hangs down. Either way I rub, and it's really showing on the inside tread of my tires.

TOLD YOU!!
What? Which part and when? You've told me so much stuff, it's hard to keep track of it all. :p
TJVigilante Wrote:What? Which part and when? You've told me so much stuff, it's hard to keep track of it all. :p

I told you I thought someone had a 2" budget lift... and I think I actually said Nate.
She just got a BDS 3" suspension lift w/ new front & rear lower control arms, new front adjustable control arms, stearing stabilizer.

The 3" Ultimate Kit Features
• Adjustable upper and lower, front and rear control arms
• Front and rear D.O.T. approved, Kevlar lined, stainless steel brake lines
• Bump stop extensions
• Front alignment cam bolts
• Front adjustable track bar and rear track bar relocation bracket
• Front disconnect sway bar links and rear extended links

Maximum Tire Size1.75" lift: 32" x 11.50"
2" lift: 32" x 10.50"
3" & 4.5" lift: 33" x 12.50" Wheel Size15x8/16x8 Backspacing3.5" Installation Time1.75" lift: 2 hours
2" lift: 4 hours
3" lift: 6-8 hours
4.5" lift: 8 hours
I love BDS products warrenty, No Fine Print...you break it, we replace it...enough said!
My buddy just installed the 3.5" BDS lift. It looked wicked.
I was definitely considering the BDS lift, and I still am....if I get it and later on need to go higher, I can always add a BB to it. And john, I thought you were talking about Holeski's budget lift for an XJ...
She does have 33"x12.50 and 15x7 stock rims. And I'm assuming you are right about the backspacing. Here is the question: Would it be easier or cheeper to just get wheel spacers, or should we just go ahead and get new rims? What would the backspacing need to be?

jeepin_al Wrote:it probably has the 15x7" wheel with 5.25" of backspacing. I would look at replacing those wheels with somerthing for 33's but you can run the 33x10.50 on it if you are set on it. rubbing will be an issue but you can solve that with either wheel spacers or shimming your steering stops. If you want to run 33x12.50's then you should probably replace them.
Wheel spacers may be a few bucks cheaper, but IMO, if you're gonna spend $250 inspacers, you mitaswell get new wheels.
I second the new wheels, 4.25 backspacing will put the tires more under the flares and keep the law off of her for wheel coverage. I ran 3.75 in the pictures and you can see how much tire stuck out with 11.50 tires.
Sorry, here is a front on picture.
[Image: NiagaraFalls067.jpg]
My 4" BS on 10.5 tires stick out about an inch from the stock flares....food for thought.
TJVigilante Wrote:My 4" BS on 10.5 tires stick out about an inch from the stock flares....food for thought.

So then if the new rims have 4" BS on 12.5 tires then it would stick out about 2"? What different BS are there 4", 4.25" 4.5"? Do they go into 5", and would I want that? Can we put 12.5 tires on a 15x8 rim or should we get a 15x10?

Help me figure out what I need, what would you recommend?
4" BS and 12.50...yeah about 2" from the factory flares. 5" backspace is too far in, you'll rub on your control arms. 4" is probably the most you'd want to go without rubbing. I rubbed with 10.50's on stock rims with 5.5" backspace, 12.50's would be almost undriveable.

If it goes offroad, stick with the 15.8's on the 12.50's...better beat pressure and you can air down more.

I've seen jeeps with more tire sticking out of the flare than you're suggesting, with seemingly no issues with being pulled. I think that as long as you're not running chopped fenders with the wheels sticking all the way out, you're fine.
Depending on the tire you can run more backspacing. For a 10.50 you can run up to about 4.5" but then you pull the tires in and raise the center of gravity again, for a 12.50, a 4.25 will work. I was running 3.75" backspacing on my Jeep and really liked that it didn't feel "tippy" like some rigs. As you go UP, remember to go OUT. As for running 33x12.50 Vs 33x10.50, that is a personal decision. You get more surface patch with a 33x12.50 but you also suffer gas mileage. I know plenty of people who have run 33x10.50's on the trails and in the mud with great results. Also, the 33x10.50 will not push out as far. either way I say get a 15x8 wheel.
Definitally running 33x12.50 for tires, so I need to get 15x8 rims with BS between 4.25 and 3.75.

I think she really want to use the stock rims, cause she likes the look. They are 15x7. Would or could you put a 12.50" tire on a 7" rim? If stock is BS of 5.5" then I'd have to get 1-1/4" to 1-3/4" spacers, right? Is this do able?