Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor/Transmission options
What is the best auto transmission you can put behind a GM 350?

What is the best auto tranmission you can put behind a Ford 351W?

I want to know strengths/weakness/cost every little info you have

I am fighting with the decisions on what motor/tranny combo I should go with. Lets hear from the penut gallery...
If it's going in your YJ, you'll want to stick with the 351W and use a C6 so you can run a Ford t-case unless, of course, you want to use all that fancy CNC stuff to make an adapter so you can still use your drivers drop D60 with a Chevy drive train.Big Grin

No overdrive in the C6 but there's also no electronics to foul up under wheeling conditions.
Chevy's best for your rig would be the Turbo400. However, as Ole mentioned, getting a strong t-case that would be drivers drop would be the challenge.

The weakness of the 400 is no overdrive - but I'm guessing gas mileage really isn't your main concern for your rig - so it really shouldn't be an issue.

Now, you could go with a 241 from behind a 4L80E that should bolt up to a 400 and be drivers drop - but their aluminum cased and chain driven, so I wouldn't suggest it for heavy duty off-road use.

You could porssibly get an adapter and run a Jeep 300 t-case? they can be clocked for drivers side.

Or get adapters for the drivers drop 205.

Or Rolleyes You could go with a 400/205 set up form a Chevy and trade me front Dana 60's for a passenger drop! Big Grin
Or you could go th400 to 203 chevy to ford 205 with a doubler kit.
Well... I bought a donor F250

I think the jeep will get the 351W most likely a C6. I have never bought or built a 351W before... this should be interesting
remeber this is a jeep :p he would have to stretch the wheelbase 24" to make it all fit Big Grin

zukman1993 Wrote:Or you could go th400 to 203 chevy to ford 205 with a doubler kit.
He needs to stretch it anyway so his 42"s don't rub each other!
i will go to about 105"

I am shopping again for a motor/tranny/transfer case

The motor turned out to be a modified rather than the Winsor :mad:
whats wrong with the 351m/400?
It is a big block with little power and extra chunky...