Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
selectable locker vs limited slip
im lookn at for parts for my 01 dodge ram, and im on traction devices. i was looking at the prices for a detroit locker versus a arb air locker, or an eaton e-locker, and they are pretty far apart. is the selectable locker worth the extra money, or will a limited slip work. this is a mud truck/ trail rig, with a good bit of time being spent on the street. i ran it thru the pits and mud drags last year with no problems
The Detroit locker isn't a limited slip, it's an automatic full locker...it's something to get used to on the street but I don't think there's much of a drawback on the trail at all to an automatic locker vs. a selectable.
hahahok i learned somethn new today. which would u recomend, as ona bidget ill only be running one in the back. hows the realiability. anyone ever broke one
Most breakages of Detroits I read about are from the shaft exploding inside the locker, but not caused solely by the locker itself.

In a short wheelbase rig which you don't have, automatic lockers can get really squirrely especially in low-traction highway situations (ice, hydroplaning water, gravel roads) where there's fast changes to high traction areas...quick locking and unlocking from getting on and off the gas can cause the vehicle to lurch if the driver isn't accustomed to the locker. I have a lunchbox locker in the back of my jeep which works essentially the same as a full case locker (detroit) but fits inside the factory carrier...and while it took some getting used to, I barely notice it's there any more.

You might want to look into getting a lock-rite or Aussie locker to just replace your factory spider gears as the most economical way to lock your axle, as it doesn't require a gear setup or backlash measurements. I have an aussie and I'm trusting it more than the rest of the entire axle. the lock-right I think has a tire size maximum of 33 or 35" diameter, the aussie has no maximum limit, but I wouldn't go more than a 35" tire behind a V8 or strong 6 cylinder with it.
You can always Lincon Lock it too. That is about the cheapest you can get. Big Grin
a detroit true trac is a very good lsd for the front of a daily driver /trail rig u wont notice it up front on icy rods for the most part and are very quiet smooth operation no clutches to wear out they are gear operated ...
I'd say locker, they are worth the money.
i was looking on 4wheelparts.com, and theres only a few options for my axle. im pretty sure its the chysler 9.25in. anyone know know what the front axle is? i cant figure it out if its the same or not, im tryna by gears for it too, but im gonna leave it open
Your front axle should be a Dana 44 on a half ton truck. Don't try climbing hills backward! as this axle is just bearly strong eought for a truck with bigger tires.
hat can be done about this axle to make it stronger? im not going crazy with the power but i am gettn the motor rebuilt, then doing some bolt on for a bit more power. will it hold 35s? im planning on using a 10.5 inch wide tire on 10in wide rims
I have a detroit in the rear and a Torsen diff in the front (almost exactly like a truetrac). For a heavy rig, the detroit is the way to go, I don't even know it is there on the highway, even on ice. I would recommend a selectable electric locker in the front. They are like a limited slip when unlocked and like a spool when locked. They are much better than air lockers because they don't leak.

I would recommend a tall skinny tire for the D44 front. wide tires give you the death wobble, are heavier, harder to steer, etc. I think the front end would live longer with a narrow tire. I like the 34 x 9.50 LTB's, narrow 35 boggers or narrow 38 boggers. I ran the skinny 38 boggers on a Jeep with D44's with no issues, loved them, amazing traction and my 4.0L could actually spin them.
so like a 9.50 front and a 10.5 inch rear? will the chysler 9.25 handle it? side note, i just looked up the stuff i need to regear front and back and it like 550 for the 2 ring and pinion sets and the 2 rebuilds kits. anyone know how to install em?
Check our venders out!
cheack em out for gears or lockers, i already got two whinches, ones an older warn, and the other is a pretty huge electric military whinch. im pretty sure it came off a sus-vee, those 2 cab small tracked vehicles
turboL Wrote:so like a 9.50 front and a 10.5 inch rear? will the chysler 9.25 handle it? side note, i just looked up the stuff i need to regear front and back and it like 550 for the 2 ring and pinion sets and the 2 rebuilds kits. anyone know how to install em?

My normal shop rate for re-gearing axles is $350 per axle for labor.

Young's gear is almost twice that.

I am also a vendor for Randy's Ring and Pinion and could price a locker - I'd recommend the detroit for the rear. I could also check prices there but am heading out of town for about 3 weeks.