Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Born-again transmission
Anybody heard anything good or bad about this place? Just wondering cause my truck is there now gettin the tranny rebuilt.
Heard both. I do know I asked about a bench job rebuild and they quoted me a price that made me run away quickly. Then a firend of mine said - no, they wouldn't charge that much - and so he asked them - seeing how he knew most of the guys there they quoted him a price $250 less than they did me - which was still twice what I could get one doen for in the lower 48. But if you have to know them to get a decent price, I don't wanna go there.

I have heard good things about their work.
Same here both. It was sold a few years back and I don't know if it got better or worse.
I was quoted $1695.00 and thats to rebuild my 4L60E and make it better than a new one with upgraded clutch packs that hold 9 instead of 6 discs. I dropped my truck off at 11am and by 2:30 they had it all apart and cleaning it.
No!!

Don't do it!!!!

At least, that's what I'd like to say.
Right now, you're takin' your chances with anyone in this town.
There are a couple guys who, if they're in the right mood, will do a good job for your money. But none of them take any pride in their work and you could just as easily end up getting screwed. These guys will have a lot of nit-picky things on their 'warranty', and if you don't follow every little condition they will tell you "too bad" in six months when it goes out.

And I deal with a lot of these shops every day.
And I hve had bad luck with them.
I recomend Simard Auto.
Too late!!!!

Its already being worked on, It might even be done tomorrow afternoon, which is a good thing. I talked with the guy actually doing the work, he seemed knowledgable and I think he'll do a good job.

I'll make sure to ask about the warrenty in detail.
I wish you luck.
We used them a lot for a while with some success.
I personally had problems with him/his work, and he had (past tense I hope) some personal issues and, well, I wish you luck!
I don't wanna worry you and I hate to talk bad about other people/shops, but I have yet to hear anything bad about Simard, and I've heard alot about every one of 'em.
AKJeeper had them rebuild his Dakota's tranny last year. A couple times.
The only two people in this town that I would trust my rigs to are Dave and Kelly and neither of them do tranny.
yeah advent but you must remember dodges have s*** trannies to begin with... i have had numerous bad bads with born again... as well as my friends... number one they cant rebuild me a th350 to save a cow... leaked all over the place... they fixed the problem and game me no hassle on my lunch break which was cool... then it pissed out... rebuilt it, pissed out... then on both my friends toyotas the tranny pooped out... my buddies 94 chevy tranny pooped out also... wont go there until i start hearing heaps of good things...
I had good experoiences with Born-again Transmission. Or should I say my wife did. Huh. Now you have me wondering. Brokeback?
There was a post here a while ago about tranny shops.

I recommend (too late for you) Tom Zaczkowski (Tranny Tom) out in North Pole. 488-0181. Clean shop, parts washer and VERY good. I have had many transmissions rebuilt by him and have had NO problems. He has no "personal issues" that I know of either.

The only problem with him is that he has a large number of trannies to do, he does them by himself so you can wait 4 weeks or more if he's busy. I still recommend him. He can give you an idea how long, but be ready for a little extra time. The results are worth it.

When I worked at another shop, We had many trannies that had to be repaired and I was hard pressed to get a good rebuild out of any of them. Especially when it becomes an electronic issue, these guys just can't cut it. Many simply rebuild and hope the problem goes away.

I do wish you success on your rebuild.
That was me. I called a few times and left massages but no call back.
Dang I knew what I forgot to say: He does seem to take a couple trips a year (has a sailboat, which I heard got damaged in the hurricane) out of state. Weird that you didn't get a call back. But I still recommend him.
Is he good with manuals? I have a NP 3500 I got, or will get, from Eric that needs to be reassembled...
akdsmer Wrote:Dang I knew what I forgot to say: He does seem to take a couple trips a year (has a sailboat, which I heard got damaged in the hurricane) out of state. Weird that you didn't get a call back. But I still recommend him.
Yeah, I mean he can read if that's what you are asking...Wink
J/K

He has no problems with manual trannies.
Youngs is pretty proud of there work based on the quoat to put it back together... Any idea when he gets back?
Tom is in town. Just talked to him. 488-0181. If you get his recorder, make sure you leave your name and number clearly.
I have also had dealings with Tranny Tom and only have good things to say,i have only had to take one trans back and it was a 700R4 which he fixed right away.If you can pull the trans by yourself youi'll get a cheaper quote.
I heard Tom is no longer the only person doing trannys at his shop, didn't hear good reviews about the other workers...anyone else hear anything like this?
Thanks to everyone for the info. I got a call around 4pm and my truck is ready to go! Thats the fastest tranny job I've heard of. I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow morning so we will see if they did a quality job.