Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearing?
Is there anyone that can help me next weekend change out my gears on my 98 IFS Taco. I've never done it before and need some technical expertise. I Would like to do it at my house on Eielson but I don't think I have all the tools I need to do this, so it will probably be at the hobbie shop. Unless some one wants to do it at a differant location I'm very flexible .

I'm really wanting to get my rig ready for upcomming rides. I went last year by my self and got into some trouble and had to get winched out. so this year I'm fixing my taco up currently Holeski hoken me up with some bumpers (thanks) and I have a 8000 pound winch on order. I'm all new to this but now I do know it is better to ride in numbers.

Yeah and no pulling on this new rear bumper like you did the stock one! I have never done IFS gears before? Where is Wayne when we need him?
no no I won't, or I should say should have to after I get my winch hooked up.
the old IFS gears in the 91-94 Yota's weren't that difficult. I cannot imagine the newer ones would be much different.
They're not. for the front you'll have to drop the cv half shafts and pull the whole housing. Setup is then pretty much the same as any dana style axle. Medium difficultly IMO.

For the rear it's easier; pull the axle shafts then drop the drive shaft and pull out the 3rd member. Nice to be able to set it up on a bench. Easiest setup there is, next to a samurai 3rd (and the sammi is only easier because it's lighter)

what ratio have you selected?
4:88:1 I was going with 5:29:1 but a guy in Ancorage talk me out of it.
hmmm, how'd he do that? I had 4.88s and wished later I had done the 5.29s
am I going to have to pull my rack and pinion out again?
I have never done a tacoma, but it very well may have to come off to get the housing out.
he told me if I put the 5:29 in I wouldn't be able to go over 45 mp on the highway.
he's wrong, but you'll certainly like the 4.88s nonetheless.
the 4:88 will turn my 35's right?
what is your stock ratio and stock tire size?
4:10 30's
4.10/30 = 4.78/35 so 4.88s would be great with 35s
good you almost had my scared but now i ain't scared
didn't mean to scare you. Are you sure your stock tires are 30s? I'd figure either 28s (metric) or a 31" or metric equivalant...
well not a 100% shure but I know there were 31's on it when I bought it.
OK ,so I never though I would say this but there are to many Jeeps here now we nen more toyota's.
well I tried to do this my self with alittle help with 28this and mudlover thanks but with no avail we couldn't so I brought my front in to Youngs Gear and they put in my gears for me $160 :bad:. My Question to you all is, Is there anyone out there that can do my rear gears for me. I'll Pay a fair price but I really don't want to pay Youngs prices they are rediculous. Sorry If I affended anyone but 80 dollers an hour and they are telling me it is going to take them 6 hours to put them in. give me a break. Thanks
now, what about if you pull the rear 3rd member and carry it in to them. You know, a bench job..??..

Taco's are still 3rd member rear axles, right?
160 isn't really all that bad for gear setup.

Yes, taco rears are 3rd member type.
So if you pull the rear 3rd member and carry it to em like Nate said.. it should be a lot cheaper... or so you would think.
should be about the same...160ish. He brought the front in for a bench job too.
AlaskaToy Wrote:should be about the same...160ish. He brought the front in for a bench job too.

2T2 Wrote:80 dollers an hour and they are telling me it is going to take them 6 hours to put them in. give me a break. Thanks

Sounds like the rear is going to be more expensive....

80 x 6 hrs = $480

$160 sounds good when it WAS gonna be $480 Smile
I need to just stop posting...

Good luck 2T2. That truck should be sweet real soon!