Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IM is out !!!!
On the news last night the EPA is said they will drop the IM testing for Fairbanks on the 1 of Jan 2009. YIPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon:
Added on to that is a focus on particulate emissions...possible bad news for the oilburners.
2010?
Stumblinman Wrote:2010?

this.

Cool
We will have a nice two year break with the I/M program. Jan 1 2012 the EPA puts into effect thier new 50 state wide I/M program. Thier new emphasis will be on particulates so now us diesel guys are going to be screwed. And say bye to unregulated burning of your wood stoves. Anything that puts out any kind of emissions will be targeted.
Yep California style emissions. All you guys with diesels mods will have to detune to pass emissions and run them with the chance of getting a ticket. I know my diesel is good to go but it does put a damper on the smarty jr.
:mad: anyone know what year vehicles the tests will effect?
the question is will they enforce them. i know mich has had im laws for years but have never enforced these laws
California doesn't test diesels (lived there twice) and Arizona did but only in the two large cities. If you didn't live in Pheonix or Tucson, they didn't test them.
ChevyKev Wrote::mad: anyone know what year vehicles the tests will effect?
Dont know yet... when I find out I'll post up.
I'd really hate to drop the 454 into the Blazer just to have 2 years later it become illegal to drive! :eek:
They better not be making it 50 state I/M.

The EPA has overstepped it's bounds.
California does test diesels. Maybe not where you lived but they do. I have several friends there that go through the pain of detuning their rigs to past the emission. Also alot of the aftermarket companies design their items to pass the emissions there.
For the electronically controlled diesels, not that big of an issue, just plug into the OBD2 port and upload the stock program, only takes a few minutes.
It gets harder if you pulled the exhaust filter.
This will be an interesting change... we'll see how the public accepts it.
On another note... did you know jaywalking is illegal... but few tickets are given each year for it... Wonder why???
I'm not worried about the diesel IM thing, 1993 was the last year diesels didn't have to have catalytic converters..... one of the reasons I bought a 93.

The newer diesels have a lot more stringent requirements.

In other words a Pre 94 diesel is kind of like a pre 74 gasser in regards to IM.
Not necessarily true Tony. Some makes didn't have cats on them all the way up into the early 2000's. For gasser's it just went back 25 years so it had no regards to one specific year. But I'm sure you'll have no issues.
They cannot enforce standards on vehicles that weren't originally designed to meet the standards they are testing for.

So most of us should be okay.
Yes if you are stock and running good then you'll be fine. It's the ones that have downloaded crazy programs, bigger injectors, and more that will have some issues.