Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions needed.
Ok...so I decided not to sell the Durango but Michael forgot to take the ad out of some online classified website and some gentleman called about it the other day. He seems quite eager to see it and we are planning to meet with him tonight so he can see it. We are asking 10500 for it. To bring ya'll up to speed...it's a 99 with 77,344 miles on it. No problems mechanically except it does need a new heater core. Outside it is missing a fender flare and the front grille has a crack in it. The inside is very clean and it has all the toys that you could get at that time....leather seats and all. It also has a towing package on it. My question is do you think this is a fair price to ask for it? I have priced the heater core and it's going to be around 100.00 but of course that's not labor included....what do ya'll think? I'm not hell bent on selling the Durango but if it goes than I'm one step closer to a Jeep:p
What size motor? Guessed and used the 5.2L. With cosmetic damage and heater core private party value even with the good mileage (AVG for 99 is 78000) it is only worth Appx. 8620.00-9500.00 according to both NADA and KBB. Don't know all the options that came on the rig at that time though. Put most of them on it though. To a lot of people though, value is in the eye of the beholder.
28this Wrote:What size motor? Guessed and used the 5.2L. With cosmetic damage and heater core private party value even with the good mileage (AVG for 99 is 78000) it is only worth Appx. 8620.00-9500.00 according to both NADA and KBB. Don't know all the options that came on the rig at that time though. Put most of them on it though. To a lot of people though, value is in the eye of the beholder.

It's a 5.9.
I say if he gives you what you where asking do it, if not say you are firm on price and you won't sell.
If you can get 10,500 for it sell it!! If he tries to get you down to blue book or less, keep it. Your in a good spot cause you don't have to sell it. $$ talks
NADA Retail says $10,100

http://www.nadaguides.com/uv/viewresults...1&wPg=2032

KBB Retail says 12,700

http://autos.msn.com/kbb/trim.aspx?type=...&zip=99702

She's asking what we owe.
Okay, bigger motor makes it between 8800-9800. Not much, but a lil closer to asking price. I'd try and hold firm, but wouldn't hurt to be willing to go 800-1000 less, just don't tell the buyer you're willing.
Michael, your link for KBB doesn't say anything about your specific rig and you should also use the Private Party Retail not the Suggested Retail when selling a vehicle to someone other than a dealer. PPR is more acurate. That's why the other starts with (Suggested).
Understandable you are trying to sell for what you owe. Tried the same with one of my vehicles, but ended up having to eat a little bit of it to get it sold. Of course we needed to sell ours. I'm guessing you don't really need to sell yours.
Yea, I really don't care if it sells or not. I love my Durango but I hate thinking that I'm paying on a vehicle that is just sitting in my driveway. We hardly ever drive it. So either way no worries. Big Grin
I just wanted to get some opinions to see if I was being fair in price but at the same time not get jerked around about the price.
I hope you can sell it so you can get the Jeep you want. Good luck. Don't be affraid to haggle.
Thanks!
To replace the heater core is 6.6 hours including removing and replacing the air conditioning refridgerant. That is roughly $675.

A jeep or zuki would fit awful well in your garage!
akdsmer Wrote:To replace the heater core is 6.6 hours including removing and replacing the air conditioning refridgerant. That is roughly $675.

Never had to myself or even heard of anyone else having to remove refridgerant to replace heater corps before.:eek:
akdsmer Wrote:To replace the heater core is 6.6 hours including removing and replacing the air conditioning refridgerant. That is roughly $675.

I'm not sure about that price. I have found a couple of people who will do it hello cheaper than that and no one said anything to me about replacing the air conditioning refrigerant.Sad
ladydurango Wrote:I'm not sure about that price. I have found a couple of people who will do it hello cheaper than that and no one said anything to me about replacing the air conditioning refrigerant.Sad

That's based on $80 bucks an hour, which is the local average. Who knows what you'll be quoted.

I gave Micheal the removal instructions which show the removal of the heater-a/c housing assembly so that the case can be cracked and the heater core simply removed. To remove the assembly the a-c hoses have to be removed. I'm sure they would have told you about the additional work required-probably after getting started with it. :nope:

There are many systems that have a heater assembly that must be removed to gain access to the core. Some Mercedes heater cores are over 14 hours.
akdsmer Wrote:That's based on $80 bucks an hour, which is the local average. Who knows what you'll be quoted.

I gave Micheal the removal instructions which show the removal of the heater-a/c housing assembly so that the case can be cracked and the heater core simply removed. To remove the assembly the a-c hoses have to be removed. I'm sure they would have told you about the additional work required-probably after getting started with it. :nope:

There are many systems that have a heater assembly that must be removed to gain access to the core. Some Mercedes heater cores are over 14 hours.

Yea...I can get the heater core for like 50.00 so it's not an expensive part---the labor is what gets expensive. I think Michael looked into doing it and he said he could probably do it himself (but I haven't got him to do it). I guess I should just get the part and maybe he will get the hintWink
Wrap it up like a present and get him all excited! Then....smack...reality will rear it's ugly head.
Get the heater core and place it on his side of the bed, tell him he can have his side of the bed back when the heater core is replaced!!!LOL
akdsmer Wrote:Wrap it up like a present and get him all excited! Then....smack...reality will rear it's ugly head.

I'll give it a try!Big Grin
Good luck...Are you going to get a Jeep this time if it sells ?
ladydurango Wrote:Yea...I can get the heater core for like 50.00 so it's not an expensive part---the labor is what gets expensive. I think Michael looked into doing it and he said he could probably do it himself (but I haven't got him to do it). I guess I should just get the part and maybe he will get the hintWink

Not to step on toes or anything, but if you get the parts and supplies needed, if nothing else I can help mike install it. I still don't see having to mess with the A/C to do it. I'd like to see these instructions....
AK20 Wrote:Get the heater core and place it on his side of the bed, tell him he can have his side of the bed back when the heater core is replaced!!!LOL

Brutal!...I hope my wife doesn't get any ideas! :eek:
Sad part is I speak from experience, my wife has a certain way of getting what she want's some times!!!
I lost the directions that Kelly gave me. I tore out every piece I could get disconnected from under that dash. I still couldn't find the damn thing. I am so frustrated with it because I cut my hand the last time I messed with it and I just got sick of it.