Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juggy vs Tube buggy vs Jeep
So I am going to start a new project now that my truck is operational. The plan is to build it for the next four years until I return to the states and I would like to race the KOH 2014. So this is going to be a long and drawn out process. I am going to purchase as little as I can and machine/fabricate as much as possible. Currently Danika and I are trying to purchase a plasma table to start manufactureing different parts and peices to sell. She wants if for the Alaskan art purpose and I could make some really cool car parts. We are purchasing a Jeep tub and frame from boshos to rebuild my current jeep to sell. With the small amounts of funds out of that rig I will start the project.

Here is the question.

Should I go strait to a complete tube chassy? I was originally going to start with the Jeep YJ frame and chop it off about half way and tube the rest. However I have been doing alot of research on full tube chassis and weight ratios, so know I am leaning towards the tube chassie. The goal is to keep the vehicle weight under 3750 lbs. It will be running no larger than 40" tires and be powered by a 351W. The motor alone weighs a little under 500 lbs from what I can find online, the motor will also be weight reduced with aluminum heads, al intake (stock but modified) and fueled with a BBK throttle body.

All COMMENTS and QUESTIONS and IDEAS are highly incouraged. I should have peaked everyones intrest! Light --like a Sammy, power-- like a Big Iron, and suspension -- like a Desert truck.
I say make a tube frame of your own. Custom...

From what I've seen of your skills, it'll look and function great when done.
i agree with mark
Go tube, That way you aren't limted by stock parts, I have known a few guy's that modified stock frames and tubed the rest they where happy at first but later said if they where to do it again they would go tube from the get go. I know your a Ford man so a 302 is smaller and would be easier to work around.
I am deffinately leaning toward a full tube chassy. I was thinking about going to a 302 to save a little space, however the motor only saves 3" in width and is pretty close to the same height. I do plan on doing some modifications to my stock intake, to save some space and remove some extra crap the motor doesnt need. I have been trying to track down a online dyno program that will give rough number of HP and TrQ. It would be nice to see how much it changes the over all performance of the motor, like compression... I can get compression from 7.5 to 11.5. Is it worth having this motor only run on super or av gas? Or should I look into making a propane kit?

Ford man? well I do seem to have a few of them! However if I had a LS1 laying around this wouldn't be a decision!
oooh, propane to run upside down, full tube chasis.

You can't show up with an AK hack car at KOH!
Absolutely, I can bring down the AK and let everyone think we are a bunch of back woods hill people! even though we are.
You can build good horsepower with propane too. You just work harder( i.e. MONEY ) to get it out ( Less BTUs).
Tube all the way. Build your own. I know most people in the racing/4x4ing have a lot more respect for those who build their own. Not that yuou can't build a quality rig from an already assembled rig, but there's just that way cool factor of building your own stuff.

I just sold an LS1 last week!!!

I am very interested and would like to help think through things with you, as I am planning to start a build net year on a tube buggy for the kiddos.
This is sounding pretty unaminous... All this did was fortify what I was thinking.

Part 2

I have been thinking alot about Motor placement. From what I have been readying lately you prefer to have the buggy slightly tail heavy rather than the opposite. I am pretty sure that I could get the vehicle close to 60/40 or even 55/45 when it come to a front engine build. These number would only apply when it would have a full 35 gallons of fuel and as I burn fuel the ratio changes. To change that I am leading towards a reverse mounted motor setup. This should change my weight to 40/60 or even 35/70 when I talkle that fuel bladder deliema. When doing the desert thing, getting more air than what my loving wife would prefer. I would rather be jumping a 50/50 to 40/60 rig to ensure that I wont be nosing into the next burm! This wont be the best setup for really steep climbs though, maybe I should keep this closer to 50/50 55/45 ish range.

Thoughts?
I spoke to "Port and Sons Machine" yesterday trying to work out the boring, bake, and instalation off my crank and cam bearings. They seem pretty resonalble, and pretty knowledgeable in the subject (They should be it is what they do for a living, Its like asking Kevin if he has any experiance in dealing with Chevys). From what he was saying is that I should pick out my aluminum heads before I decide on what flat top forged pistons. I was looking at some edlebrock 2.02 / 1.6 heads on Jegs.com, seams to be a good head and resonalbly prices. Who on here has ran aluminum heads?
duramax did I think... correct me if im wrong Smile
i like DART heads myself i heard alot of good things about them and they are priced somewhat reasonable and there is the old dubble hump heads to they are pretty good.... but alum heads are lighter but idk nothing about them never had a chance to run anything with alum heads...