Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need suggestions on fab work
Long story short, after installing my OME lift, and the new tires I have the dreaded body mount rub that tends to plague lifted FJ's. The fix is to modify the body mount for clearance, but this requires someone who knows welding. I would like to get this issue taken care of before I join you guys for my first run so that I don't damage my tires (at least not on the body of my truck :lolSmile.

SO my question is who do you guys recommend for Fabrication work? I don't want to take it anywhere without some input from you guys.

Once this is taken care of I just need to install the CB that is in my room waiting, get a matching spare, and balance tires/alignment then I'm ready to go.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Jeremiah
i have had good experience and seen good work on kevin's part.
Ole is awesome as well. *bow*
wayne (fix it) has fabbed up most of his toyota ford buggy,
and im sure there are lots more of us out there.

I can do pretty good stick welding , grinding and torch work, but i have no welder or torch.
Give me a call, or swing by and let me tae a looksee.
Kev, Can you PM me your contact info? I can swing it by and give you a chance to look at it. There are a bunch of well written tech articles online about this particular modification because it is so common on these. They might help too. I'll see if I can dig some up later and post links here. Is it kosher to link to other forums from this forum?

Jeremiah
hey I think the body mount on my truck is the same, if you need to look at what we did to mine I can bring it over whenever you get yours done. I should probably cut mine a little more because I got bigger 33's than I had before and now they rub a bit. As far as hurting your tires, the body mount is pretty smooth so it shouldn't do too much, have you clearanced the pinch weld inside the fenders? that will do some damage if you don't.
my 85 had same issues specailly once i went to 40 inch tires .
weird how that works wayne...
I'm not familiar with the pinch weld issues. I'll have to look at yours and see what you are talking about. I'm running wheel spacers, and I don't think that I'm rubbing anywhere but the body mount, but I'll have to check again now. I'm running the OME "mediums", and with the bumper-winch weight up front I may need to look at getting the "heavy's" up front.

Blcktoytaco06, what lift do you have?

Jeremiah
i have Camburg 2.5" Coilovers and UCA's with 1.25" wheel spacers, if you go from the body mount and move up the inside of the wheel well there may be (not sure if the FJ is the same) a ridge about an inch high that is where the body pieces get welded together. it loses you like an inch of wheel clearance and to solve it, the ever popular BFH (big f-ing hammer) and then just rattle can it to prevent rust.