Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
winter wheeling tires
Since it seems that my BFG's don't like ice or snow very well, I've been looking around for some dedicated winter tires for next winter's runs. Seeing Ryan's boggers not do so hot in the dry snow, I'm heading towards some less aggressive tires. Advent told me about **** Cepek Fun Country tires, and I took a look. They're nice, they have alot of wide sizes in 36" and above, but only 12.50's and under for anything smaller. I plan on 36's anyway, so that's not a big deal. I'm liking the 36x16.50 Kevlar model they have, their site says only 16.5 wheels but www.4wheelparts.com has them for a 15" wheel as well, which is nice.

I've also noticed the popularity of Trxus STS tires in Iceland for their glacier/snow runners, but they're also pretty skinny, although they do have a 36x14.50 size that's very interesting. I think both should do rather well for winter wheeling, is there anyone who has heard anything specific about the **** Cepeks? I know the STS do well, they wouldn't use them so much in Iceland if they didn't.

So, any other options or opinions?
The boggers just like to dig, don't worry that jeep don't have enough power to get you into trouble lol j\king!!!

If you like the Trxus, I say look into those...14.50 is plenty wide for light jeep like you have IMO
tj i loved my trxus MT's not STS's thou... i had equal if not more ice traction than my cooper mud and snows
D1ck Cepeks do great in the snow. You'll be very happy with them.
Look for a tire that has a soft compond. I think I'm getting Dustys 39" Iroks for my YJ.
TJVigilante Wrote:Since it seems that my BFG's don't like ice or snow very well

Which BFGs are you running?
That's what I was wondering my A/T KO's rock in northern Minnesota winters. I have yet to find a tire that works as good (except spiked/studded which are illegal there) for those conditions plus wear decent in the summer. Blizzaks work great for winter, but die quickly during the summer.
Airmanwoody Wrote:That's what I was wondering my A/T KO's rock in northern Minnesota winters. I have yet to find a tire that works as good (except spiked/studded which are illegal there)

Mine (BFG A/Ts) were great up in AK too. I ran them most of the winter and switched to a mud tire for breakup/summer.

maybe TJV is running M/Ts or Long Trails?
i run bfgs at ko's all yr here and love em for all rd conditions . if you run them rock hard is the only time i ever had a complaint (aafees ) had them at 80 lbs ! after installing them ...

for a good all round tire i love em .. i have a few pics here of the grooving i did on my boggers and i had great performance in the snow with them ,,, ask geoff the difference with his truxs super swampers and my boggers in the deep snow . he got wedged 20 ft in were i could cruize right on past and keep going and even turn around to help pull him out .. both of these were 33 in tires ..
but grooving definatly helped alot in turning and side hilling .
Fix_It Wrote:... ask geoff the difference with his truxs super swampers and my boggers in the deep snow . he got wedged 20 ft in were i could cruize right on past and keep going and even turn around to help pull him out .. both of these were 33 in tires ..

Cry :yeahthat:

TJVig runs ATs.
Fix_It Wrote:i have a few pics here of the grooving i did on my boggers and i had great performance in the snow with them ,,, ask geoff the difference with his truxs super swampers and my boggers in the deep snow . he got wedged 20 ft in were i could cruize right on past and keep going and even turn around to help pull him out .. both of these were 33 in tires ..

Exactly, the problem I had with my boggers was on a hill, they just dug down too fast and I couldn't carry any momentum to get the rest of the way up the hill. Down in the flats were a couple others had problems digging down and getting hung up my boggers just kept clawing there way forward. I was doing like 1mph at 2000rpm with half of my diffs buried but I kept moving ahead, it was awesome to watch IMO.
yeah I'm fine with the BFG's on the road, I've only used 4WD on the really slick ice, but as the title states, i'm looking for swap-out offroad dedicated tires, and the BFG's fall short when it comes to deep dry snow. They did fine in Fairbanks Creek in December, but the snow was still wet then so it was easier to drive through.

Yeah Yeah, like I have cash for two/three sets of wheels and tires...but you never know what can happen in 9 months, and steelies are cheap.
Don't discount a 36x12.50 radial TSL swamper, matter of fact I might no somebody who has a set for sale(my old tires). They do fine in snow, and mud, and rocks and.....only thing is there for 16"rims
My TSL swampers do pretty darn good.. well the few trimes I went out in some deep snow... They are siped too.. so pretty good on road driving as well Wink
LowNSlowNeon Wrote:My TSL swampers do pretty darn good..

..at holding all the snow on my rig up. Why not skip Anchorage and start working on the Zuki?

Never mind. I remember what is in Kev's garage.

It would seem that for tires that work the best on the trail, they won't work the best on the street. I've run 33" Kumhos, Goodyear MTs, Cooper Sts and the Swampers. The Swampers have been the best and have good bit in the snow, but on the street a set of Blizzak or equivalant would best. Blizzaks would suck in the snow though.

In the end, on a trail in the snow, low ground pressure rules. Just ask "Big Red"!
yeah that's why I want the widest tires I can fit and run, with some 15x10's or 12's(kev has these...) and being able to drop to really low pressures. Definitely not looking for an all-around tire to do both, I'll sacrifice some streetability to avoid the headaches I get trying to get down a near-level deep snow trail in the BFG's. It could even just be the small size of the tires that's holding me back, but even then they cake up really bad at times.
It's both the width of tire and the tread design that has you beggin' fo more.
Watch the width of the rim compared to the width of the tire, at low pressure, you don't want to pop a bead in the cold.
yeah I'm thinking 15.50 on a 12" wide wheel, to get decent contact patch with a little higher psi, but no fear of popping a bead, or a 14.50 ona 10" wide wheel. I have a direct source for the 12's, so I'm thinking wider than that.
for the deep powder in a 36ish tire, i'd try an irok, pitbull, or DC fun country (all bias models), or a 37" mt/r. maybe even one of the bias m/t claws. to really take full advantage of flotation/contact area, you might do well to consider beadlocks. Are you going full width 8-lug soon?
these tires will come after the full-width, but I plan on having it done by next summer. So....I'll be stuck with the BFG's through this coming winter unless something miraculous happens before then.
Does no one but me like chains?:2cents:
eh, I've had too much experience with chains tearing my tires up.
That shouldn't be too big an issue if you have big enough tread lugs to keep the chains from slipping around the tire. You can also keep them tight with some bungee cords. Once the chains go on you just have to go real easy on the go pedal. Very seldom will you need momentum to carry you through with chains on all 4 chomping at anyhting in their way.

I've seen chains do damage too, but thats usually from excessive useage of the stupid pedal and improper installation.