Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Towing laws discussion
Petey,

You cannot towbar a K-5. It's over 4000lbs and you would need to have the brakes hooked up to the tow vehicle to do it legally. Borrow a trailer, or drive it down.
i bought ur old one yes... but i got another i had b4 that one... and u can towbar anything i never heard of anything over 4000lbs not being able to towbar i just called the troopers and they said there isnt a law about that here as long as its sucure with safty chains..
Anything over 3000lbs requires brakes. Either surge or electric. The Zuk's are about the only offroaders that can be legally towed with a towbar.

And yes I just contacted the troopers to verify it after reading the state law.
to flat tow the k-5 its a auto so will also need to pull the drive lines so u dont burn up the tranny . but with the weight of the tow rig i dont think you can flat tow the k-5 . it needs to be on a tow dolly with brakes or regular flat bed ...its been a while since i drove truck but it was like 4200-4500 lbs required to have one axle with brakes
I'll chime in on this highjack.

Mark I don't know wheeou got 3000lbs from, maybe in another state but not here. Wayne you are getting closer.

Quote:13 AAC 04.205. Brakes

(d) No driver may operate a motor vehicle on a public roadway or other vehicular way, towing a vehicle with a GVWR greater than 5,000 pounds, unless the following conditions are met:
(1) the towed vehicle must have operating brakes on at least two wheels on each side of a three axle vehicle, or one wheel on each side of a double or single axle vehicle;
(2) the towed vehicle requiring brakes must be equipped with an operating, breakaway system capable of applying all required brakes in the event of separation from the towing vehicle; and
(3) the towing vehicle must be of sufficient size and weight to safely control the towed vehicle.

And here is the answer for using the tow bar
Quote:13 AAC 04.275. Towed vehicles; connections and safety devices

(a) A vehicle towed upon a street or highway must be coupled to its towing vehicle by means of a safety chain, chains, cable or equivalent device, in addition to the regular hitch or coupling. No additional connecting device may contain more slack than is necessary to permit proper turning of the vehicles connected, and the additional connecting safety devices must be connected to both the towing and the towed vehicles and to the drawbar or other rigid connecting device in a manner which will prevent the drawbar or other rigid connecting device from dropping to the ground in the event of its failure. The additional safety devices must be of sufficient strength to retain control of the towed vehicle in the event of failure of the rigid connecting device.
(b) The requirements of (a) of this section do not apply to a towed vehicle which is connected to a towing vehicle by a connecting device composed of a fifth wheel and kingpin assembly.
© Except as provided in (e) of this section, when one vehicle is towing another, the drawbar or other rigid connection must be of sufficient strength to pull all of the weight towed. The drawbar or other connection may not exceed 15 feet in length from one vehicle to the other, except if the connection is between two vehicles, one or both of which transports poles, pipes, machinery or other materials of a structural nature which cannot be readily dismembered.
(d) Except for an implement of husbandry or a pole trailer, the drawbar or other connecting device must connect the towed vehicle to track within six inches of the immediately preceding vehicle to which it is connected.
(e) When one vehicle is towing a disabled vehicle and, because of emergency or other extenuating circumstances, there is no rigid connecting device between a towing and a towed vehicle, there must be displayed upon the connection a white flag or cloth at least 12 inches square.
(f) The provisions of this section do not apply to snowmobiles or other off-highway vehicles.
A little tip. Don't ask the troopers for info. They interpret the law to what they think it is not what it is. Look it up yourself. You can find all the state codes online.
so just like i said there is no weight limmit on a tow bar cause that is what a TOW BAR is used for.. u have to use a tow bar and safty chains..
Moved this discussion to it's own post to keep the upcoming ides thread cleaned up.

big_bad_jeep it would depend on how the cops interprit it first then how a judge interprits it. The first portion talks about having to have brakes on vehicles (trailers or whatever) 5000lbs GVWR or more. The second part just talks about what you are using to tow it with. Notice that both say vehicle and not trailer specifically. You could try to argue it but would probably lose the argument in court.

To me all this means that what ever vehicle is connected to your vehicle would have to be under 5000lbs GVWR in order to not have brakes. It doesn't go by how much the vehicle weights. IF that were the case my trailer wouldn't have to have brakes since it only weights 1100lbs. But it's GVWR is over the 5000lbs limit. Bt again it's not how I interprit the law it comes down to how the judge interprits it. that's what they are paid for not me or the cops. Cops are there to enforce it not interprit it.
whatever the interpretation may be, there are a lot of rules and regulations that hint of a possible failure with a tow bar or "draw bar".[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 06:39 am ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 am ----------

[/COLOR]13 AAC 04.205. Brakes

(d) No driver may operate a motor vehicle on a public roadway or other vehicular way, towing a vehicle with a GVWR greater than 5,000 pounds, unless the following conditions are met:
(1) the towed vehicle must have operating brakes on at least two wheels on each side of a three axle vehicle, or one wheel on each side of a double or single axle vehicle;
(2) the towed vehicle requiring brakes must be equipped with an operating, breakaway system capable of applying all required brakes in the event of separation from the towing vehicle; and
(3) the towing vehicle must be of sufficient size and weight to safely control the towed vehicle.

the GVWR on my blazer is much more than 5000 lbs. its around 6500 i think. I will have to double check. But it also says that I have to have a brake system on my blazer in the case that it separates away from the vehicle doing the towing. (which i do not have)[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 06:45 am ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 am ----------

[/COLOR]the way I see it is that if the trooper is able to find a way to nail you with a ticket he will. if there is a loophole, they will find it. Ive had my share of run ins with vehicle equipment violations and I am sick of it. I would do just about Anything to do to avoid the possibility of getting in trouble with a trooper or police officer's interpretation of the law. Heck, the magistrate I had to see did not even know what a GVWR WAS.

I think its time to save for a trailer.
I got my numbers when I called the troopers. I had to call them for something else, they were helpful and friendly, although they didn't want to give me the other info I requested.