Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody wheel a Comanche?
Just asking how a Jeep Comanche would be to make a rig out of. A quick search for lift kits was limited. How does the wheelbase compare to a Wrangler or Cherokee? Is it pretty universal for parts with other Jeeps? Any good or bad comments would be appreciated.
Talk to Holeski. He has one he is modding right now.
do a search on www.alaska4x4network.com
there was a guy on there who took one from stock to 1-ton/39s in about a year.
'manche, crabcakes, forsty <--- search keywords
I have talked to that guy a few times on the MJ site. They’re cool trucks. There was a sort wheel base/bad and a long wheel base/bad. I have a SWB and it is still longer then the XJ’s. I wheeled mine yesterday and was really impressed with it close to stock. Unlike the XJ the rear is sprung under and the springs main leafs are longer eye to eye so you can’t use a XJ lift kit in the rear. The front yes. You can however do a SOA that gives you 5-6" lift in the rear. That’s what I’m doing now. I love them.
you mean SOA and shacklesBig Grin
No what do you mein and shackles? The MJ stock shaclkes are longer then the XJ's stock one so there is no need to get new ones. XJ lift shacles won't do much at all for the MJ.
well you have a welder and a plaz... :big grin face: of course it would fall under DUMB lift ideas, 10 inch shackles... lol
[Image: MJ%20stock%20flex.jpg]
That photo is stock in 2wd with no brakes. That’s all been fixed now.
sure does flex alot better than kevs volvo
I wheeled a Commanche in the early 90's. It did well and had 4" lift and 31's.
Don't jump them though - yes, I was young then! Cracked the exhaust manifold and destroyed the front axle - but that's what youth does for ya! Live and learn. It was really a great rig until I thrashed it!
Well they all crack manifolds and the 30 is weak any how.
I had a 92 and it was pretty fun, until one off road adventure when I blew up Trans,and 4wd. Hey question can you do a SOA on Durango, but how would you compensate the front end without having to go SA. Don't think there is any way, would be putting to much stress on that stupid Rack/Pinon Front End, lol
Thanks for all the replies. The MJ does look like it would be a pretty good trail rig. I met with Holeski and checked his out. It looks a lot better without the topper. I'm looking at one right now with the straight 6 engine, D44 rear, and manual trans.