Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need someone to ID an axle for me
It's sitting in my driveway in North Pole. 10,000 miles away from where I type this.
I have pictures, but not of the diff cover.

I think it is a Sterling 10.25, full float.
It is supposed to have been rebuilt recently.

I need to know the model (there's a chance it's a D60), and the condition of the seals, bearings, and brakes.
I'm shopping for parts, and need to know exaclty what I don't need to buy.
Post or send me the photos. I'll see what I can do. I have Ian right now or I would run over there.
[Image: axle_2b.JPG]

[Image: axle_2c.JPG]

[Image: axle_2a.JPG]
Geoff, looking at the middle pic...I would almost guarantee that's a Sterling 10.25, I'm sure someone who knows Ford could confirm.
I figured it was. FF, right? (pic #1)
Now I need someone to open up the cover, and see how the inside looks. As in, do I need all new bearings and seals.
Yeah a 60 cover is more rounded then that looks.
Oh yeah. and the d44 laying beside the 10.25... what gear ratio is in it, and what is the carrier break for a LP d44?
Brad needs to read this he would know.
sevenslats Wrote:I figured it was. FF, right? (pic #1)
Now I need someone to open up the cover, and see how the inside looks. As in, do I need all new bearings and seals.

Yep, full floater...Are you going to be regearing it? If so I would just order the master install kit with it and be done, carrier break for the LP D44 is 3.73 / 3.92...

If I had more time I'd gladly drop by the house and take a look in person, but don't think that will be possible nowWink
Quote:If so I would just order the master install kit with it and be done

Take it from me, buy the MIK. Dont do what I did and piece on together and not get the right parts and pay too much, etc etc etc.
I will buy the MIK for the d44. The 10.25 is supposed to have been rebuilt very recently. If everything is new, I don't want to waste it. Have you ever priced parts for a sterling axle? :bad: Cry
no, truthfully, I dont know much about Sterlings at all.
the name is a clue, i think. as in, sterling silver. :banghead:
Grrr. I found out the gear ratio in the d44 is 3.73. I wonder what the difference in price between a new open carrier and a ARB is. Hmmm.
if you can swing it, I would recommend the ARB since you already have a compressor. I spent 200 bucks or so getting an open carrier for the 44, then the locker was another 250, so I have 450 into it, when you could swing the ARB for another 300...
If the 44a had an ARB option, I would have taken that.
Holy carp! $200 for an open carrier? Last one I bought for a d30 was $40.
And yes, ARB is the only locker that will go in my d44.
It was that 44 HD carrier. what gears are you doing?
Its definately a sterling,(extra gusseting in center chunk) which means the brake drums should come off without pulling axles.
Anyone free this weekend to pull the cover off that sterling and check the condition of the seals and bearings?
It's a 10.25 they are virtully bullet proof they create a problem in short wheelbase riggs because of the length of the pinion if you don't want it I'll trade (2) dana 60 rear ends for it. Thats an old one late '85-86 model the '87-and up have an antilock ring,and sensor above the pinion. then in 1998 they changed the bolt pattern to 8-170mm and got rear disc and in 2001 they went to 10.5 ring gear if you really care. The axles are 35 spline and the wheel seals are about $55 a piece if you have to buy wheel bearing you better sit down. But if your interested in the 60's let me Know one is 3.54,3.73 open and one 4.10 welded.Brad
Interesting. I hadn't heard that before.
Got any numbers as to how much longer a sterling pinion is compared to a d44 or d60?
Just walked out and measuerd it is (about) 2" longer than a dana 60 rear didn't compare to the 9" (shortest) or the dana 44.
I appreciate that.
Tell me more about these d60s you mention.

EDIT: oops. I just saw your edited version.
Wait. in post # 21 are you describing sterlings or danas? Sounds like sterlings.
Tell me about your d60s. FF? seals and bearings and brakes condition? I'm looking at 4.88s, so ratio doesn't matter. If you have an open carrier version, I could just slap in a lunch box locker.
Those are big enough you can just weld them.