Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Alternator.
I am looking at getting a better alternator to go with my better battery to help make more power for my winch. Here is what I have found:

- I am still trying to figure out if the alternator in there has any markings as to what it's ampage is.

- I looked up an OEM one on the internet and it says 85 Amps.

- I looked at the Duralast that Autozone carries and it say 90 Amps.

- I was hoping to find a stronger one.

Any suggestions?
A better idea for a winch would be to get a second battery and a battery isolator. That way the vehicle runs on one battery and the winch can run on the other.
Understood, I wouldn't mind doing that. One major problem... Where do I put the extra battery? :eek: Not to mention, Optima's cheapest battery here is $136, about the same as an alternator. So 6 one way, half dozen another? Confusedhrug:
Put it in the cargo area. Doesn't have to be under the hood.

Does it have to be an optima battery?
28this Wrote:Put it in the cargo area. Doesn't have to be under the hood.

Does it have to be an optima battery?

It will fit in the cargo area, but running the power lines may be tricky once I take the carpet out. Not to mention the expence of the isolator and wiring. I'd have to wire them both into the isolator and run the wires all the way through the truck to the rear end. :eek:

An alternator, would be plug and play! :allrighty:

Yes, it has to be and optima. The one in her is already and I want them to match. :allrighty: Also, it's a gel battery and not a liquid. Handles bouncing around better and works upside down, if needed. :eek:

I am curious about the isolator... Does the alternator charge both batteries when you use one?
Isolators are designed to charge both batteries, but only when needed and giving the main battery presidence over the secondary. I'm concidering getting another one. I'll find the site for it and show you what I'm looking at.
Is there any room under the hood at all?
28this Wrote:Is there any room under the hood at all?

None. You can come look if you want. It'll scare you, you have more room than I do. :allrighty:
I don't think so. I've got that V8 under mine. We can probably figure something out though.
I have dual batteries in my Scrambler and use a different kind of system. Rather then an isolator I have a continuous duty use Solenoid wired between them. It is wired to a switch on the dash and a oil pressure switch on the engine. It connects the battery when there is oil pressure for charging and disconnects it automatically when there is no oil pressure. If I leave the lights on it is isolated and I use the dash switch to connect it to the main battery and start the jeep. It was about $30 bucks at Napa for the parts and has worked great.
Check these out right here Mike.....

http://www.newmarpower.com/batteryisloat...ators.html

Remember if you decide to go with a bigger alt and then decide to go with dual batts later, You'll have to watch the amp output of the alt so it doesn't overdue the isolator. They are rated up to certain amps depending on size and how many batteries.
Cool stuff, I didn't see a price though. :allrighty:
Steals and deals section:

BATTERY ISOLATORS/INTEGRATORS

1-2-70 (Battery Bank Isolator)
495-1270-1

$30.00

2-3-70 (Battery Bank Isolator)
495-2370-1

$140.00

BI-100
490-4345-0

$65.00
Retail Price List
Updated Feb 14, 2006

MODELRETAILSHIPPING WEIGHT
1-2-70 Battery Isolator$87.50
1-2-120 Battery Isolator$157.00
1-3-70 Battery Isolator$130.00
1-3-120 Battery Isolator$227.00
1-3-165 Battery Isolator$309.00
2-3-70 Battery Isolator$242.00
2-3-120 Battery Isolator$430.00
You can also get isolators at Napa for a decent price. I just wired mine in series, cheap, easy, and one less thing to worry about breaking\not working.
You mean parallel dont you? If you're running series, then you must have a complete new system for the 24 volts your now putting out.

Series increases volts but not amp/hr capacity.
Parallel increases Capacity but not volts.
Anyhoop, I don't want to wire mine straight together. :eek: I want an isolator if I do this. If I get the big billy badass one, can it work with anything I do, as long as i don't exceed it's capability?
Yeah. You can wire whatever you want to the batteries. The isolator will prioritize the charging from batt 1 to batt 3. As for the alt to isolator amp wise, its just so you don't damage the isolator. BTW, most isolators like the ones I posted are designed for marine use also, so they're sealed to protect from water.
28this Wrote:You mean parallel dont you? If you're running series, then you must have a complete new system for the 24 volts your now putting out.

Series increases volts but not amp/hr capacity.
Parallel increases Capacity but not volts.

I think you have it backwards, series is amps not volts...Wink :allrighty:
AK20 Wrote:I think you have it backwards, series is amps not volts...Wink :allrighty:

Starting new thread for this.
This is cool, I'll have to get one. Steph? Can I have one? Please? :bowdown:
Here's a link to a newmar 1/2/120 thats a little cheaper....
http://shop.sailnet.com/product_info.php...ts_id/6028
So, if I get the 165 Amp one, it'll handle my dinky 85 Amp alternator and two red tops?
No doubt. I think the 1/2/120 would do you fine and you could even bump the amps up on your alternator later on if you wanted. If you didn't realize how the number system goes for them, the 1st number is the number of power sources (alternators), the second is the number of batteries it will supply and the third number is the number of amps it will handle on the input side.
Michael,

You should look into having your alternator rewound by a shop in town. They could probubly boost it up to 120 and it would bolt right back in. Save you on shipping too. There's a place on Van horn that does it I thnk... Not sure of the name though...
AKCJ8 Wrote:Michael,

You should look into having your alternator rewound by a shop in town. They could probubly boost it up to 120 and it would bolt right back in. Save you on shipping too. There's a place on Van horn that does it I thnk... Not sure of the name though...

Hmmm... Does anyone know the name of this place? It would be awesome to make it more powerful. lol