Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery wiring series vs. parallel
For those confused when it comes to wiring two or more batteries.....

[Image: hr.jpg]Battery Bank Wiring

12 volts versus 24 volts

[Image: hr.jpg]
Most remote power systems are wired for 12 volts. Some larger systems are wired for 24 volts. It's a delicate call to make this decision in most cases. Even larger voltages are used in some huge systems. The main advantage of 24 volt systems over 12 volts is that wire size is cut in half throughout the system. Besides affecting battery bank wires, this includes solar panel, wind generator and hydro plant wiring, too--if you have hundreds of feet of wire, this cost can add up quickly. The disadvantages of using 24 volts are that 1) you'll need an expensive, power-wasting transformer to run 12 volt lights and appliances, and 2) if you want to buy a cheap, Chinese inverter, they are only available in 12 volt versions. More expensive inverters are available in different voltages.
Series and Parallel Battery WiringLead-acid batteries always have 2 volt cells wired in series to give the desired voltage. Some batteries have 3 2 volt cells in the case, already wired together for 6 volts. Most battery banks use a combination of series and parallel wiring.Series wiring increases voltage but NOT amp/hour capacity.Parallel wiring increases capacity but NOT voltage.
Series Wiring Example[Image: series_wiring_diag.jpg]
Parallel Wiring Example[Image: paralell_wiring_diag.JPG]
Cool stuff, my truck is a 12 Volt set up so I need to do the Parallel, correct? Unless, I go with an isolator, then it doesn't matter, right?
Correct. Stick to parallel and your voltage will stay the same, but your amps will get larger. Use the isolator and what the voltage and amp rating is on the battery is what will come out the battery. The biggest part that matters on the isolator in this case is you can't hook up a 12 volt and a 24 volt battery on the same isolator.
I'll right, I'll eat crow here...it was me who had it ass-backwardslol

Michael, you were just saying how you wanted more amps to the winch, and looked into an alternator to do it...running the batteries in parallel will help this.
AK20 Wrote:I'll right, I'll eat crow here...it was me who had it ass-backwardslol

Michael, you were just saying how you wanted more amps to the winch, and looked into an alternator to do it...running the batteries in parallel will help this.

I understand that. But at $136 a battery, I want to protect them from draining each other. I figured the isolator would work. I just wanted a bigger/stronger alternator if possible. It would be easier to install than all this wiring and battery thing. :eek: If I do use dual batteries, it's gonna be a lot of work to get the second one into the truck.
deleted and reposted in correrct thread