Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helper Springs.
As some know, I towed AKCJ8's 79 Pacer up here from Delta yesterday using Kevin's monster car hauler! [Image: shocked.gif] Any hoop, I used my 99 Durango to do it. Other than not having enough brakes for the weight she did amazingly well, never lacked for power or torque. Didn't even heat up the tranny. But what I did do was make her squat hard with the weight. I found these, "helper springs" and I was wondering what everyone thought of them. Here's the link:

http://www.mrtruck.net/springs.htm
Helper springs are ok sometimes. Usually they will make the ride empty alot stiffer. So if you are going to lift this thing like you had planned I'd say no. Also it's usually not the engine that is lacking. it is the brakes as you found out and the suspension. That is why most people who haul serious weight use air bags as helpers. That is what my dad uses on his dually. I'd say just don't tow anything above what the factory reccomends and I'd say the trailer plus the car was probably right at that limit if not more. Just my thoughts on the matter at hand.