Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carb freeze up help
not sure what is going on, but I think the temperatures are doing it. but it is only 20 degrees out! I know it is below freezing, but i wasnt expecting this to happen just yet. The truck has been sitting for a few years with the same fuel in it. I think there may have been some moisture that gathered in there and froze up somewhere on the carb.
I have a 770 offroad truck avenger carb on my 454. running a stage 3 cam, a Y pipe I just built [Image: ypipe.jpg]

I cant seem to get any fuel to the bowls. i dumped a little fuel in the bowls and it acted like it wanted to start. I checked the fuel line and it did a great job at delivering fuel to the carb. I am running 5.5 pounds of pressure. I added about 10 gallons of premium fuel and some heat.
i think something is froze up in there as not as much more than a few drips of fuel will drop in, not squirting like it used to when it was warm.

I am planning on getting a space heater and some cardboard to warm everything back up , but I was wondering if there was something I could do or take a part on the carb to inspect or check out while I have it on the truck. Thought about removing the carb and warm it up inside too.

any thoughts? or questions about my setup to help me find a solution?
i think I have some moisture froze up in the bowl.
anyone ever put heet in the bowl directly into it through the sight bowl?? (im talking just a little tiny bit via funnel and straw. )
Never messed with it.
If you have a block heater on the engine you can plug it in and let it sit for a few hours. I would put some heet in the tank and run it through the system.

Or you can manually add fuel to the carb until it is warm enough to thaw out the carb.
Be careful with heet. It's just rubbing alcohol.
jon stopped by, carb is definitely frozen.
pulled the carb and hid it in the house so it wouldnt be "found" and then put outside to freeze again by the roommates Tongue yes .. I am that kind of roommate :pirate:
carb isnt frozen. its clogged with something.
talked with jon a bit. going to presoak the fuel bowls with carb cleaner through the sight holes and slosh it around after letting it sit in it for a day. might get lucky and break loose whatever is in there.

if not, looks like I will be rebuilding the carb. Wish I just got it this year instead of letting everything sit for a few years before firing it up and trying to tune it .. I would be sending it back asap.
i watched a video on youtube. ill be posting up a carb rebuild thread sometime in the future.
part #1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pi53JbuY...re=related
part #2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAIEpTXJ9...ure=relmfu
part #3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie74DaaDY...ure=relmfu
I took apart the main and rear fuel bowls and squirted carb cleaner through all the orifices.
When I squirted carb cleaner through the jets I found that it was coming through the carb where it was supposed to. I am hoping I knocked something loose.
The gaskets came off easy, no tearing. and inside the fuel bowl it was clean. The needles were not stuck either.

when I shake the front metering block i hear a rattle. is this normal?
I searched some youtube videos and found one on adjusting the acc pump. I checked the one on my carb, and it was WAY too loosely adjusted (so it was pushing on the acc pump). I tightened up the nut and bolt according to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3F3ssOb8lg
Inside the fuel bowl it was squeaky clean, same for the fuel jets. Im a pretty visual person so all this talk about the parts finally clicked last night. I also pulled the choke, and secondary pump covers off and they both seemed pretty clean to me. no gunk anywhere!! When I sprayed carb cleaner through the passages in the metering block, jets, and any other hole I could stick the carb straw in, I did not see any gunk come out. I was happy to see carb cleaner come out into the bowl Smile
it is supposed to get up to 20-30 during the day sometime soon. if I am lucky I will not freeze my fingers again. Girlfriends are fun to watch squirm when you warm your hands on their backs unexpectedly!
Careful with cold hands, they usually retaliate with freezing feet against your back throughout the night.....