Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is my HEI coil toast?
Seems like everything is going wrong here on my build...
this is a general tech question. probably will get a quick and easy answer for my ignorance.
what is happening?
problem: truck wont start!
motor cranks over.. no fire.
I invent some swear words.
I do not believe I am getting power to my HEI coil.
I checked the power source to my ignition wire that runs to the HEI. I have power.
I am running a 20 amp fuse to it that is also tied into my fuel pump. (in case I need to shut it down I have fuel and power shut off to the motor).
I checked the little button that sticks through the rotor cap for power with my test light and it did not light up.

Is my coil dead?
So you have 12V going in right? If so check spark. If you have or can get a spark tester. If not you can pull a plug ground the electrode to metal and have the girlfriend crank the motor. You will see the spark. If no spark there is a chance the coil is bad. also keep in mind you need 12V. So if the fuel pump is pulling also you not be actually getting 12V. You may need a secondary ignition hook up.

A couple tests you can do.
1st test- primary resistance, tach to bat terminals. Above 0 but less than 1 ohm.

Connect an ohmmeter to each terminal of the pick-up coil connector or wire and ground (one terminal at a time). The ohmmeter should indicate infinite resistance. If it doesn't, the pick-up coil is defective.

Hope this helps. Also some parts stores used to test these for free not sure if they still do or not.
Not exactly a solution but some good insight for you.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=137248
under the coil in the cap there is a lookin horse shoe (ignition module) fuse like critter they go out easily like welding on frame and such ...did it on mine too .. keep spares ..
When I was checking the cap. .. the plastic connector that runs up to the cap, had the middle wire (ground) loose. I had to bend a little tab to get the wire to snap back into the plastic connector. I think that ground wire got loose and had an electrical arc with the power wires. this may have fried the ignition modual. Not my fault. When I got it all back together before inspecting it all again.. I found my fuel and ignition fuse was blown.. I plan on taking it back to shucks monday. (im busy tomorrow with my comp. exam) I may claim that the coil got fried too just to be sure and get new parts Big Grin