Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questionable tow points
I know we've had some good threads on the subject of tow points. Here is some more food for thought.
It's essential to have tow points and have them installed properly. Just because the OEM installed a tow hook, doesn't mean it safe for the abuse we can put them through.
A couple months ago I witnessed a factory tow hook on a new Jeep JK fracture and become a projectile that went through a tailgate on another truck. Four inches higher and it would have gone through the back window instead. Scary thought. the jeep was only high centered in a snowbank. It was not stuck that bad and it didn't take a hard pull to get it out. It could have just been a casting flaw, but after taking a good look at it, I think it is a poor design. There is a lot of leverage placed on the top two bolts and not very much material surrounding them. The one I saw fail, broke across these bolt holes and the top half became a projectile. I know I won't be hooking a strap to one.
I don't think we have any JKs in the club at the moment, but we will eventually or we may come across them on the trail. I would recommend that these hooks be replaced with a D-ring mount or another type of tow point. Below is a picture of the questionable hooks.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEfTtT5ac3m63Cp-bRihl...Wl4UxjkbsA]
I took pictures of the aftermath but they were accidentally deleted. I know others took some as well. I will try to aquire copies to add to this thread.

I think just requiring tow points isn't quite enough. We should be taking a careful look at proper mounting and safe design as well. I don't want to see any tragedies while we are trying to have fun.
Do they mount like/where the TJ ones did?
No. They mount flat on the end of the frame rails. The problem is that the hook part cantelievers up above the frame about four inches. This puts a lot of stress on the top mounting holes and the end of the frame rail. There is a thread on jkforums.com that shows pics of one that actually tore the top of the frame apart due to the leverage put on it by the hook during a hard pull. Its a bad design all around. A plate with a shackle mount or a d-ring bolted in place of the hook would hold up to abuse much better. it would put the stress directly in line with the frame rail. The only issue would be you would have to remove or cut the stock plastic bumper cover, but most people who wheel their jeeps do anyway.
Ahhh. I see.
hey another note about factory tow hooks is that they are installed at the factory and used 90 % only for shipping even they look like they could be used otherwise. check your owners manuals guys it'll tell you or contact your specific vehicle dealer.they can tell you if there are any recalls on your perticular vehicle as well. cast tow hooks will hold up extremely well using a tow strap but if a chain is used it will fracture and you won't see it or worse it will break.