Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ox Locker problems
So today I went out wheeling after the Meeting with Wagonburner down at south cushman, had a lot of fun and we each almost rolled once on flat ground, but anyway after we had been out there a while i was going to try and climb up an embankment that was all large rocks, I pulled up to the bottom of the hill and got my front tires on the rocks and tried to start crawling up but i wasn't getting any traction, my rear tires were both sinking into some muskeg but both of my front tires were on the rocks. So I had john come take a look and only one of my front tires were spinning. I thought maybe the cable had gotten damaged, but it was in pristine condition. so we headed back to the road so we could get away from the mosquitos. while at the road I thought maybe it just needed to be adjusted, so i took out my tool kit and started gettign the cable all adjusted as per the instructions. Tried to climb another hill and once again Nada was really starting to get pissed because I thought Jiffy Lube might have done something stupid like removing the diff cover and not lining up the fork with the lock ring, so I decided to call it a day. Headed up to the house and started pulling the front diff cover off to check things out. As soon as I got the cover off the problem was immeditely apparent all of the bolts that are supposed to hold the lock ring on had backed out and were all stripped, because they had backed out they had eaten away at the retaining band for the Carrier. At this point we decided to pull the shafts and try and get the carrier out to inspect the damage, which included 6 broken teeth on my ring gear (fortunately the Pinion was still in good shape), the carrier would not pull out so finally we had to get a comealong and pull it out with that anchored to another vehicle. at which point the whole thing fell apart. We finally got all the pieces back together and were deciding what to do. so we headed down to Lowes but they were closed. Walmart didn't have any bolts that fit and neither did Fred Meyers. So in the morning I have to go to the store and find some bolts that fit and hopefully get everything installed. Now I'm off to get some sleep due to my lack of workers for my other project tonight, if anyone wants to help me reinstsll my carrier and shafts you are more than welcome to come up to the house on Overhill sometime after 9:30a Just call my cell first to make sure I'm home and not at the store getting the bolts.
Pics and details to follow in the morning when I can see What I'm doing, I pulled several large chunks of gear out of the bottom of the Diff.
Not good news. Who installed that? Damien?

If the carrier is tight to fit, the best (readily availabe) tool is a torch, not a come-a-long. The housing needs to be heated so it will expand. Or, if you happen to have one in your back pocket, a diff spreader. Just FYI.

Did you get the winchline on?
Ouch,

That sucks. I wish I had time to help, but after church we gotta find more of our stuff, the movers packed in ways that make me wonder.

For example, TV in one box, VCR and DVD in another, and cables and remotes are somewhere else and they're not marked.

Dang movers anyway.
man, that sounds crappy. I have not heard a lot of good about the OX lockers lately. Most of the problems I heard of were with cable adjustments though
Yea, I don't know if the bolts weren't tightened in the first place or what, but it's all going back together now and I'm gonna reinstall it. Then I need to flush my radiator and replace my thermostat and I hope that will solve my overheating problems. Haven't gotten to do anything with the winch line yet, but that is also in the works for today.
So then I guess the ring gear isn't damaged very bad after all?
Man bad news. Sounds like maybe the bolts where not torqued down to the right spec or maybe just a freak happening. Yeah not the best why to pull the carrier. Good luck. I can’t make it out there but if you need me to look at it later bring it out.
ring gear has 5 teeth that are partially broken off just on the tips and another 6 that are cracked, I am going to order a new set today but I will keep this one in for the bogs on saturday so if it craps out i will be ready to just swap it out.
What gears do you have?

I have a 4.10 set from a TJ that could use a new home.
4.88 gears, otherwise i know of a few 4.10 gear sets available up here. I've got it all figured out now, just finished installing my new thermostat so hopefully i will be able to lower my running temperature. at least I'm finding all my problems out now so i can take the preperatory steps required to resolve them before they become debilitating issues.
Sorry I don't have the gears you need.
TJ, Look very closely to where the teeth are chipped and where the pinion meshes. If the chips are out side the pinion mesh you should be OK. What you can do or I can if you don’t fell comfortable doing it yourself. Break off the cracked teeth and lightly grind the chips smooth and angled so that they don’t hit the pinion gear and re-shim the gears. I think you will be fine. I have been running a chipped ring gear in the rear of the XJ and the front of the MJ, with no problems. If you think there to far gone I am doing a gear order later this month get with me.
Darkchild1723 Wrote:ring gear has 5 teeth that are partially broken off just on the tips and another 6 that are cracked, I am going to order a new set today but I will keep this one in for the bogs on saturday so if it craps out i will be ready to just swap it out.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm pickung onyou in my posts inthis thread, but...
There's no way I'd chance my $900 locker like this. If they do break, and float around in the diff, somehting is going to break. There's no douobt that;s exactly what would happen to me.
But like I said, it sounds like I'm bashing you. You are the one who inspected them, you know best.
My suggestion is only if it’s the tips that don’t hit the pinion much. I haven’t seen them. Where they broke before you pulled the carrier or as you where pulling it?
here is a shot i took of his teeth.

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n126/...h=imgAnch1
Wooh, yeah nevermide. They need to be replaced. So I ask again was that a before or as you pulled it?
before! it didnt hurt it when we pulled it, when we pulled it it just dropped down on the rubber part of the jack.
Well let me know if you need to get in on this Aug 21st gear buy TJ. I can do the gear install too and I promise I'll use lot of lock-tight.
I Did change my mind Geoff No mud bogs for me, but I may still do the campout this weekend and sut take it easy while I wait for the order to get in from Eric. Speaking of which Eric can you put me down for a D30 4.88 R&P please.
Man, that sucks bad. That ring gear is definately trashed. I am sorry to hear this happened to you. If you are gonna run it, I'd probably take the ring gear off of the carrier and just run 2wd. I wouldnt wanna risk trashing the locker.