Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recmonded gear to have when hitting the trails....
So been looking around and trying to determine what is needed and what is not needed for trail riding. It is very wide ranged.....

So figured why not start a discussion about it on here. Good way to kick off a Thursday!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
(03 Sep 20, 11:17 am)Djoehnk Wrote: So been looking around and trying to determine what is needed and what is not needed for trail riding. It is very wide ranged.....

So figured why not start a discussion about it on here. Good way to kick off a Thursday!

I guess would depend on  

1#what time of year.
2# what kind of rig.
3# what kind of trail..
4# how close trial is to home
5#is rig trailered or driven to said trail
Now somethings are a given.. proper clothing/change of clothing, basic tools for said rig, recovery stuff, spare parts..
This is the link to the bylaws, there is a basic list of good to have. A lot depends on how extreme of trails that you want to go on, the capability of yours and others rigs going and time of year for wheeling. I bring a lot of extra stuff when it’s cold out.

http://www.arcticoffroad.com/thread-7561.html
I saw them after the post I made on Facebook pointed me to the bylaws. Was reading them yesterday but didn't get to the end before getting distracted.

But figured would see what else people bring or thought should be brought.

A quality recovery strap and good tow points front and rear for anytime of the year. If you are winter wheeling Good heavy duty chains can be a game changer and a life saver. I bring a set of metric hand tools to make repairs and some extra fluids. Newer trucks like yours only time will tell as for as parts maybe axle shaft as a spare part. The ability to air down can help but then you need the ability to air back up after the run so you don’t damage your tires. If you do a lot of solo trips you may want to invest into a front / rear winch system for self recovery.
(07 Sep 20, 09:00 am)88XJ Wrote: A quality recovery strap and good tow points front and rear for anytime of the year. If you are winter wheeling Good heavy duty chains can be a game changer and a life saver. I bring a set of metric hand tools to make repairs and some extra fluids. Newer trucks like yours only time will tell as for as parts maybe axle shaft as a spare part. The ability to air down can help but then you need the ability to air back up after the run so you don’t damage your tires. If you do a lot of solo trips you may want to invest into a front / rear winch system for self recovery.

What should I look for in a recovery strap?
(19 Aug 21, 02:34 am)juliannewriter Wrote: What should I look for in a recovery strap?

Biggest thing is make sure it is an actual recovery strap and not a tow strap from one of the box stores. You also don't want lifting straps. A good recovery strap will have the ability to stretch a little. As for weight rating a good rule is 4 times the weight of your rig when loaded for a trip. Length is really a preference. I've been in plenty of situations where either a shorter or longer strap than what I had would've been better.
Be sure to have plenty of fluids, motor oil, gear lube, antifreeze, break fluid, tools to work on your vehicle, and know how to use them, everything that you need to change a tire, and a tire plug kit.

Plan on being self reliant. As you start out you will not have it all, plan on collecting it piece by piece over time and get the best that you can afford.